Complete newbie

<<

Ritz

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Complete newbie

I am wanting to learn a programming language, I've attempted python about a year ago but i was kind of busy at the time but now i have a lot of free time and would like to know if there are a few links or books i could read. I want to start like i know nothing what so ever (which i pretty much know nothing.)
<<

unicityd

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 am

Re: Complete newbie

If you're still interested in Python, I recommend "Practical Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science Using Python".

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A32NYK8/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

You may also want to check out Zed Shaw's "Python the Hard Way"; just Google for it.  He runs the site Programming Motherfucker.  It has a lot of good resources:
http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

superkojiman

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 am

unicityd wrote:You may also want to check out Zed Shaw's "Python the Hard Way"; just Google for it.  He runs the site Programming Motherfucker.  It has a lot of good resources:
http://programming-motherfucker.com/become.html

I have to say, the t-shirt he's selling made me LOL. Anyway, back on topic, I'd also recommend Violent Python if you're planning on using python for hacking (which I assume you are since you're posting on ethicalhacker.net). It does go over a few of the basics, but definitely not as much as other beginner books. However, python is such as easy language to pick up that you'll have no trouble following this book once you've got a grasp on the basics. Plus it'll get you writing interesting scripts.

Good luck.
OSCP + OSCE
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 am

Another great resource is Google's Python training class. They released videos and printed material/exercises that go with the class here:

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/set-up
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

Ritz

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Sorry, I have been busy since I made the post lol. But I have started working on the links in the first post. thank you very much for the replies. I do have one more question though, i am not "Terrible" at typing, but i never learned it from a program and want to get better and if any of you have advice on a free program i could use if any, i would appreciate it very much.
<<

superkojiman

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:15 pm

Ritz wrote:Sorry, I have been busy since I made the post lol. But I have started working on the links in the first post. thank you very much for the replies. I do have one more question though, i am not "Terrible" at typing, but i never learned it from a program and want to get better and if any of you have advice on a free program i could use if any, i would appreciate it very much.

Never learned it from a program either. All you need to know are the home keys and which keys are controlled by which finger (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Touch_typing.svg). Anyway, you can google for online typing tutors. There are a few out there that are decent and should get the job done. Practice makes perfect.
OSCP + OSCE
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Wow, this makes me feel old. I had a "keyboarding" class in high school that was essentially just typing out progressively more complicated sentences and paragraphs over the course of the class. They didn't have any fancy programs.

So yea, stay on home row and don't look down. You'll pick it up quick.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm

You want to talk about feeling old? My "typing" class in high school was split between (first semester) typewriters and (2nd semester) computers...how many on this board learned to type on a typewriter?

Just sayin....
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 am

On the same train of thoughts, the first computer I bought myself didn't have an hard drive...

And as far as typing is concern, my left hand little finger was broken years ago and is all crooked, so I can't use it for typing. So much for me for learning how to type correctly  :-\
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)

Return to Programming