Hacking Yourself?

<<

nub001

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Hacking Yourself?

I have some questions I hope to get answered. Is it possible to hack yourself? Would you have to set up a LAN in order to "see" how your computer appears from the outside? The purpose would be to get some experience and to test my own security. Thank you in advance.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Hacking Yourself?

This would be setting up your own pen testing / hacking lab. There are numerous posts on setting up these types of practice environments both with real machines and virtual machines. Search the forum and if there's anything else, post a reponse to this thread, and many people would be more than willing to help.

Welcome and we look forward to seeing how you progress.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

nub001

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:17 pm

I have been searching for over an hour and cannot find any guides. Can you please post some links?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:33 pm

Try these:

[Article]-Virtual Lab with VMware

[Article]-Virtual Lab with VMware - Forum Discussion

Lab Setup v1 for Study Group

Charter Study Group - Pen Test - Don

Here are a few. They clearly are not defintive, but it will get you thinking about setting up your own hacking lab.

Thanks for taking the time to try finding this stuff on your own. I'm glad I could point you in a few directions.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:18 pm

I would also tell you to look over at the videos and articles Chris Gates has done here. He has done a lot of Lab network hacking and his examples of MetaSpoilt are great. If you want to learn on how to make a hackers lab you might want to take the approach of just building a small LAN and them see what tools and tricks you can use to get into it. I find that to test a good tool you can normally just aim it at a PC on your own network too see how it works. If you decide to try things (hacking) outside your network make sure you understand what the tool dose and that you have full permission of the networks owners prior to playing with it outside of a lab.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP

Return to Network Pen Testing