Information Security Day 2007

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Information Security Day 2007

We normally leave our calendar of events for larger gatherings of IT professionals such as cons, trade shows, training events, etc. I personally felt that this was a pretty good idea and deserved our attention and support. More info to come as we get closer to the date.

Promote the Information Security Day on the first thursday of August.

Protection of information assets and the technology resources that support the business enterprise is very critical to the functioning of any business organization. Information System assets are always at risk from potential threats such as malicious or criminal actions, employee error, system failure, natural disaster, and lack of proper security infrastructure. Such events and situations could result in the damage to or loss of information resources, corruption or loss of data integrity, interruption business continuity, or compromise to confidentiality or privacy of end users of the information systems.

Information Security Day was started to spread the awareness of information security issues. Information Security, also known as Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) deals with the different aspects of information and its protection. Information Security Day aims at reducing the risk associated with the information systems by increasing the awareness of the user community. The INFOSec Day aims at increasing the awareness in the following areas:

>> Understanding the various information system components
>> Security Management Principles
>> Risk Assessment, Sensitivity and Criticality
>> Disaster Recover and Emergency Procedures
>> Logical Security
>> Physical Security
>> Managerial Security Measures

The annual event is held around the world on the first thursday of August every year. If a local holiday co-incides with the Information Security Day, you can always re-arrage the date for your convenience.

Help spread the word:
http://www.informationsecurityday.com

As always, your feedback is encouraged as this thread will be observed by the coordinators of this event. You may just help shape what may become a global event.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

talkinelf

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 am

Re: Information Security Day 2007

In the past i have hosted some events in my home country Maldives. some of it IT related. it was last year when i discovered an IT security day was ever marked. cause i joined the field only recently. but it was late when i discovered it. since then i have had the vision to host an event to mark information security day 2007. even at a smaller scale as Maldives is not that much advanced with the information security. i will think of some kewl ideas to include in a global event. and keep everyone posted.
<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

Great Initiative talkinelf.

Looking forward for your Info Sec Day 2007 Activity Details
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Hey Manu,

Best of luck to you and the day of InfoSec Awareness you created. Doing this kind of project is tough.

All the best, and be sure to update us.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:05 am

Its a good idea and I hope Manu keeps it going. In time it could grow into something and be good for us all.  All it takes is just a mention on CNN news or some other major news program.  Thats what got youtube going strong. The media started to mention it and it exploded. The trick is "how do you get them to take notice?".
<<

boney

Post Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:51 am

its tomorrow !
C|EH

All my life I wanted a computer...
Now I want my life back !

Return to Calendar Of Events