What makes a great hacker?

<<

Kev

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:48 pm

What makes a great hacker?

I get asked this question all the time.  I usually answer that you need 2 things to be a great hacker. One is patients and the other is a lot of spare time!  If on the other hand you are the impatient type with little free time, well forget it!  I remember one of my first attempts with installing a simple driver in linux years ago. I kept trying over and over and never stopped until I got it working. I probably spent a day. That’s a hacker’s mentality!  I believe I read some place that a recent University data base was hacked and they believe the hacker spent 1 year trying to get in!  Talk about being patient!  Given enough time, a lot of systems can be breached one way or another. That’s one of the biggest disadvantages for most Admins. They often have little extra time and can be over worked. That’s a dream come true for the average teenage script kiddie. 
Last edited by Kev on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

oyle

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Re: What makes a great hacker?

"If you're a GOOD hacker, everyone knows your name. If you're a GREAT hacker, no one knows who you are".

I hope I got that right. It sounds right, if memory serves.
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

Kev

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:02 pm

Sup Oyle!
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:39 pm

I feel a good hacker is someone that is always learning new things and has the ability to think out side of the box. I have found some of the best new tools or tricks came from adding on what others have done. Another good trait of a hacker is the ability not to give up on complex tasks.

Brian
(AKA Slimjim100)
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 am

another good trait of a hacker is not to completely bodyslam your PC with your windows BSOD's on you...even though you really really want to.

all kidding aside, a good hacker will work to figure out solutions to problems even with easier (while not as good) solutions exist.

i got my start into being more than a user with computers by having a windows NT computer at school.  Tech supports fix was to wipe everything and reinstall (bye bye data) every time there was the slightest problem.  After a couple of times of that i started figuring out how to fix the problem myself and thus started me down my road of thousands of lost hours starting a the computer and tons of caffeine.
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:49 am

A good hacker would find something to hack if computers didn't exist. They would be tinkering with steam trains or aircraft or water mills or whatever technology exists in their frame of reference. I imagine most of the hackers here have fiddled, twisted, modified or otherwise broken something other than a computer in their lifetimes and that's not going to stop soon.

It's the mindset and the attitude not the skills in a particular domain that make a good hacker. Of course some aptitude is required for success ;)

Jim
<<

oyle

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 am

Exactly right. Next time someone (works especially good with the elderly)asks you to look at their box, ask them what's wrong with it. Of course they'll tell you they don't know. Then you fix their machine. They ask you how you did that. You tell 'em,"piece a cake". or something similar. They're left scratching their heads wondering what you did, you just smile at 'em and walk away. Always leave 'em wondering. Then they tell their friends, and their friends tell and their friends......word-of-mouth, babee.

Computer? Who needs a computer to hack? I don't need no stinkin' computer. I want to hack something, I look for an old Coke machine, and hack that, instead. Keeps me in practice.

Oh boy. Tyra Banks is showing me how to jump a dead car battery.

'Sup, Kev.
;D
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm

Return to Network Pen Testing