TheRegister: Congressional aide fired after trying to hire hackers

<<

jimbob

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:58 am

TheRegister: Congressional aide fired after trying to hire hackers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28 ... ack_gaffe/

"The press attaché of a Montana Congressman has been left red faced after "hackers" he was trying to hire to change his lowly college grades published his email exchanges instead."

A testament to the dangers of trying to recruit black hats to do your dirty work.
<<

d1spat3r

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:09 am

Re: TheRegister: Congressional aide fired after trying to hire hackers

If you haven't seen the email exchange you can find it at: http://www.attrition.org/postal/z/033/0871.html.

It is actually a funny read.
CISSP, GSEC, GCFA
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Oh, that was hysterical. I was laughing my ass off through out the reading. Uh... naive, naive of him. That's what you get when you don't know what you're messing with. May this be a lesson to all the people considering hiring an underground hacker for malicious intent.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

jimbob

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:32 am

It sounds like so many cases where someone says they want a hit man, only then for a police officer to act the role. Because they initially solicited the skills of the hit man it's not entrapment AFAIK. He should have kept his crappy grades instead of losing his job. How's his resume going to look now?

Jim
<<

Kev

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:12 am

I hope that’s not the typical ethics of someone with an aspiring political career!
<<

Cutaway

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Don't worry.  With the right PR wo/man he will be able to use this experience in the future (mistakes of youth and all).  He will probably get hired and serve many terms as a congressional representative.  After all, he is exactly the type of person the corporate machine wants in office. 

Most likely what he will do is change jurisdictions and political surroundings.  I bet he moves to a different state and just moves on working political campaigns as he goes until he re-establishes himself.

I think you are correct in questioning his ethical fiber.  Unfortunately it will most likely not change over time.  However, I have no doubt that a person with this much audacity will continue down his chosen path.

Hopefully, he stays well away from where I live.
Go forth and do good things,
Cutaway
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 pm

seems consistent with other politicians...

Return to Other