Poll on certifications

Can you get through a certification only using braindumps without having much actual knowladge and without reading any meterial

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes : 15
<<

skel

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:11 am

Poll on certifications

You dont know much about the subject area. You dont have time or you re too lazy to read the books and documentation. U have only one day  for the exam. So you get a braindump like testking or actual test and read the questions and sit for the certification exam.

Do you think u can get through ?
Skel
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:04 am

Re: Poll on certifications

Yes it's possible to pass an exam only by using braindumps or of other sorts, but you wouldn't gain any knowledge of the subject matter.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:35 am

The other unknown is the exam where this is possible. In running this site and participating on other forums, I've read and heard a lot of stories on this topic. As an example, you will hear some people say that the same MS exam where one person had every question match his braindump, a person sitting right next to him in the same testing center had very few. Now of course we know this is because of the practice of pulling from a pool of questions, so no exam is exactly the same. But then there are exams like CISSP where braindumps are known to be way off.

So the question maybe should be something along the lines of how much of a gambling personality do you have? Are you willing to go all in with a 2 and a 7 off-suit or would you rather have big slick or pocket aces going into a flop?

So I answered the question yes, it is possible. But for my money, I'd rather have pocket aces with additional knowledge and experience behind me before entering an exam.

Hope that analogy wasn't too off base.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 am

As a former Cisco Instructor I can say you have a very good chance of not passing the exam and looking very foolish. From what I have seen of the Brain dumps they are very inaccurate and really are only good as a review if that. Now I have heard of some of the brain dumps being accurate but do you really want to gamble with mis-information before an exam.... I hate to waste my money and time so I make sure I am comfortable with the material prior to testing but there will always be people who take the short cuts and in the long run they will get weeded out.

Slimjim100
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:18 am

I think your right, people that exaggerate their skills on their resume and have lots of paper certs usually are found out within the first few weeks of employment. However, in most cases, they still keep their job, while someone who was truthful about their skills gets the shaft. Its very aggravating, but thats what happens when you don't have sr. technical people doing the interviews.
<<

pcsneaker

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:06 pm

It depends what cert you are talking about.

Certs which require a practical cannot be done only by studying braindumps, but there are not that many that require a practical (Red Hat, EnCE).

All of the mainstream certs (M$, Cisco, EC-Council etc) can be done just studying braindumps, but those who take them that way are easily spotted when they face the first real world problem (most of the certs have nothing to do with real world scenarios, thats one of the biggest downsides of these certs).
MCSA:Security (W2k, W2k3)
MCSE:Security (W2k, W2k3)
CPTS, Network+
<<

skel

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:57 am

Hi

Thanks for the guys who commented and voted on the poll. The reason why I did post this was my own experience which shocked me.

I didnt think that you could get through a exam using just brain dumps. But few weeks ago I was toled by one of my colleges that two checkpoint certification vouchers he had was expiring next day and he didn't want to use it. I didn't like to go 300 bucks wasted so I registered myself with one voucher and scheduled the exam for the next day. 

I had work with Checkpoint 4.1  until about 1 year ago but as my duties changed I dint have time to play with it after that. I am also certified CCSE 2000. We also upgraded this firewall to NGX but didn't have time to get involved in the implementation. So my knowledge of NGX was not very high. 

With my office/home  work I had only about 2 hours to spare, So I got a brain dump and read it once. I didn't expect to get through the exam but I thought I will at least get a taste of the questions.

I sat for the exam and got though it with a big margin. I just couldn't believe it. If I had prepared for this exam, I would have taken at least 1 month to go though all the documentation.

So thats my story.

And Don was right on target. The voucher was money going to waste anyway. So I dint run any risk even if I had failed. If it was my money, I would have never taken this risk. Now I will have my go at the CCSE in NGX and you can be assured that I will spent at least one month in preparation.

Its a totally new ball game when you are spending your own money . 
;D
Skel
<<

supafly613

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:27 am

The question isn't really "CAN" you pass by absorbing as much information as possible.  The real question is "SHOULD" you be following this method.

I've found that actually understanding the subject matter leads to longer retention than a study-blitz just to pass an exam.
Andrew Hay
NSA, CCSE Plus, CCNA, Security+, RHCE, GCIA, GCIH, SSP-MPA, SSP-CNSA
blog: http://www.andrewhay.ca
email: andrewsmhay || at || gmail.com
<<

rennen

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes you can pass, but are you just trying to obtain a Certification or absord the material?

In my case, I try to do as much studying and reading as I can so that I have a firm grasp of the material as well.

Return to General Certification