Security Resources for Microsoft's Windows 8/RT/Surface/WP8/IE 10 Launches

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm

Security Resources for Microsoft's Windows 8/RT/Surface/WP8/IE 10 Launches

With all of the media attention on the Windows 8 launch, I thought I'd bring it back to security by posting this helpful list by Chris Paoli of RedmondMag.

Starting on Friday, Microsoft's bonanza of software and hardware relases begin.

By Chris Paoli

Those day-one adopters of everything Microsoft will be opening up their wallets quite frequently over the next few months. But whether purchasing for yourself or using the company budget to upgrade for your enterprise, security should always be at the front of your mind, no matter how high you get off that new tech smell.

To help you out, here are some handy resources for you to navigate best security practices among Microsoft's new toys:

For complete list of resources:
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2012/10/ ... urces.aspx

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:39 am

Re: Security Resources for Microsoft's Windows 8/RT/Surface/WP8/IE 10 Launches

Has anyone used windows 8 yet ? I think they Microsoft have got it wrong windows 8 will be good on tablets but using it on a pc or laptop I dont think its going to work in the way they are expecting.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am

I ordered a copy because it's only $70 with a $15 promotional credit on Amazon at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-000 ... =windows+8

I haven't particularly enjoyed the pre-release, but I want to put it on one of my systems in order to start getting acclimated to it.

I don't think it's the end of the world though. They'll probably remedy any shortcomings in SP1, which businesses typically wait for anyway.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:58 am

Played with it. At first I thought it was strange and thought they had an in between strategy missing the mark on both the tablet and desktop targets. After playing with it, I like it. The 2 biggest things to think of:

1. The start button didn't go away. It was just replaced with a start screen. If you can get that in your head, it makes the whole concept easier to grasp. It did for me.

2. It's meant for touch. Took my kids to the MS store and played with all of the devices from tablets to laptops to desktops all with touchscreens. It makes much more sense. On a system without touch, it makes it all feel strange.

So at first I thought they totally missed the mark. Now I'm starting to see that they really were much more forward looking than just tablets and phones.

Of course that is the general impression of the OS itself. Still playing with the security aspects of it.

Don

PS - My kids loved it, but I'm not sure what that says about employees in your typical organizations.  ;)
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME

Return to OS