programming and OSCP

<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 pm

programming and OSCP

Just wondering, CBT Nuggets has a python course, could someone get through the OSCP with just python knowledge? And how difficult would it be to go from python to ASM or C/CPP/C#? or other languages required for an infosec career?
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: programming and OSCP

The OSCP will require a lot more than just knowledge of python. At least that was my experience when I did it. Keep in mind that I didn't know python either.

As it relates to progressing through languages, I would focus on the fundamentals i.e programming paradigms OOP/Procedural, control structures and so on.

Once you have mastered that it comes down to syntax and knowing how each language implements a particular concept.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 pm

http://securitytube-training.com/certif ... ng-expert/ would be much more applicable than Nuggets.

+1 to everything DK said

Once you learn one language, the others get easier because there's a decent amount of overlap in concepts. Assembly is kind of it's own beast, but I've found that working with Assembly has given me a much better understanding of C.

In terms of the OSCP, you need more of a handle on memory and CPU operations than Assembly. You can generate all your shellcode with msfpayload/msfencode/msfvenom, but you still need to understand things like buffer overflows and be able to adjust your exploit accordingly.

SecurityTube's Assembly and Exploit Dev collections are good supplemental material here. Corelan and The Gray Corner provide a lot of good tutorials as well, but they go well beyond what's needed for OSCP.

A scripting language (Python/Ruby), C, and Assembly will provide a nice core skill set. However, depending on which direction you go, other languages may certainly be beneficial, such as C# for Windows development, and a slew of others on the web development side of the fence.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

DragonGorge

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 pm

SephStorm wrote:Just wondering, CBT Nuggets has a python course, could someone get through the OSCP with just python knowledge?

For the OSCP - I felt the ratio of C/Python exploits was pretty even. I didn't use a single ruby exploit outside of what was in the metasploit framework. Having a strong background in C really helped me when it came to looking at other people's C code but you might be able to get by with just python.

I think you'll end up picking up C & Bash either way. But if you're at a point where you have to pick/choose, I'd put learning assembly at the bottom of the list.
<<

Eleven

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:41 pm

You guys are talking about using Metasploit for the OSCP, but I thought that wasn't allowed?
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Usage of Metasploit is limited in the EXAM, but there are plenty of times, within the course, where you'll use it, as well as learning to port existing exploits either to or from Metasploit, to accomplish your goals.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Dark_Knight wrote:The OSCP will require a lot more than just knowledge of python. At least that was my experience when I did it. Keep in mind that I didn't know python either.

As it relates to progressing through languages, I would focus on the fundamentals i.e programming paradigms OOP/Procedural, control structures and so on.

Once you have mastered that it comes down to syntax and knowing how each language implements a particular concept.

Thats what i've determined so far, but im looking for a good resource for learning those concepts in a way that makes sense. I am hoping that the course presents those concepts well, Ive also heard of the learn to code website, perhaps that would be a good option or resource?
<<

DragonGorge

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 pm

SephStorm wrote:I am hoping that the course presents those concepts well, Ive also heard of the learn to code website, perhaps that would be a good option or resource?

Just my opinion - but if you can get conversant in any of the scripting languages (Python, Bash, Perl, PHP, etc) moving from one to another, as DK suggested, isn't that much of a leap. If you're completely new to programming, I'd personally stick with Python. Get yourself a starter book or something that has a exercises and go through the entire book (or as much of it as you can). I'm not talking about the reference type of books, I never found them to be much good at learning a new language.

One thing about your "hoping the course presents these concepts well" remark - don't count on Offsec to teach you fundamentals (Python, Bash, SQL, etc). You'll have to pick up A LOT on your own.
<<

SephStorm

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh I know, thats why im looking outside. :)
<<

blackzero

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:27 am

I registered for OSCP last Nov just to gauge myself and get the courseware, Now I will be taking exam in Dec and for whole of year I have learnt great deal of stuff. I learnt python, C, ASM, Web application development etc etc..Some of which were no way related to OSCP but what I have come to understand is that you need understanding of bigger picture to be successful at OSCP.
You don't have to be C programmer but understand C enough to make changes to existing code which is NOT trivial. You may not need deep understand of Linux OS but enough to successfully escalate privileges. I would say its not about depth but breadth of topics which one must understand is biggest challenge.

Hope that made sense. :)

Cheers!

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional