My Experience With Hackingdojo Ripped Off My Money

<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: My Experience With Hackingdojo Ripped Off My Money

Incidentally, with regard to the university thing...

At least where I'm from, you can generally get a refund, but only if you drop the class within the first week or less.  After that time, it's your loss, because the seat could have been filled by another, paying student.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Hmm, why not? i Paid for a Year Aug 22 this Year, not at last Year it hasn't gotten to 2 months i said take off your fees that i have stayed then refund the others i don't think there's nothing wrong with that .

hayabusa wrote:I didn't say the 'refund' situation was clear.  That's between you and Thomas.

I was referring to your 'original' request of him, to bypass the exam.  His policy was spelled out in the FAQ, clearly.  So because you don't agree with, and want to follow, the standard policy, you requested a refund.

If you buy a software license, and disagree with it after a month, they generally won't refund it, based on time or other usage.  You paid for, and had access to, intellectual property.  I can understand your desire for a refund, but I can also understand his stance, if he doesn't.  So it's a matter the two of you will have to work out.

At this point, it's between you and Thomas.

I'm glad you gave your opinions on the course and the situation, though.  It's always good to get feedback, good or bad, so folks can make their own decisions.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm kidding, not accusing you of this, so don't come jumping back in a firestorm...  Some people lately have been misinterpreting posts, so I want to make that clear.  But playing devil's advocate, one might say -

"So you basically wanted a discounted rate, while you "checked it out", rather than paying monthly, so that IF you liked it, you'd come out ahead, and otherwise, if you chose not to stick it out, you'd save a bit, by terminating early?"    ;)

That, or:

"Dad saw the charge on his credit card, so you don't want to pay the bill."    ;D

I'm not saying that you are wrong.  I'm not saying Thomas is wrong.  What I'm saying is, I legitimately see both interpretatons / sides of this, and that you'll have to settle it between the two of you.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Well i get your point now, i try to resolved it before hand even before posting this issue here, but i get pissed when he said no refund it seen bully to me forcing me to do what i don't want to do . Personally i don't see this case to big deal but he doesn't want to resolved it at all  .

hayabusa wrote:I'm kidding, not accusing you of this, so don't come jumping back in a firestorm...  Some people lately have been misinterpreting posts, so I want to make that clear.  But playing devil's advocate, one might say -

"So you basically wanted a discounted rate, while you "checked it out", rather than paying monthly, so that IF you liked it, you'd come out ahead, and otherwise, if you chose not to stick it out, you'd save a bit, by terminating early?"    ;)

That, or:

"Dad saw the charge on his credit card, so you don't want to pay the bill."    ;D

I'm not saying that you are wrong.  I'm not saying Thomas is wrong.  What I'm saying is, I legitimately see both interpretatons / sides of this, and that you'll have to settle it between the two of you.
<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm sure he does want it resolved. But it may not be resolved to your satisfaction.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:42 pm

I can see that he's your pal so you can defend him cause you're entitle to your opinion.
One quick question so why did he refuse to make refund if he does want to resolve this issue? cause when people are talking they always think someone is stupid .

SephStorm wrote:I'm sure he does want it resolved. But it may not be resolved to your satisfaction.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Yet wrote:
chrisj wrote:
As for a refund, try that with a University. You sign up for a class, decide you don't like the teacher and drop. If it's past the drop date, you'll get nothing back. The University I'm at, if you wait too long, you get an E for the course.

I don't really get your point you mean if i am in the University i can't request for refund? or when student pay for a complete session & want to drop out they won't refund? that's new some times the way people make post they want to make you look stupid  .

I have spent a lot of time in colleges and universities, including one of the biggest names out there. Over the years, I had to drop some classes. If I dropped them before they began, I got a refund (if I had paid). The only time I ever got a refund after paying, when I dropped any classes after the start of the term, was the one semester I was ran over by a drunk driver.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:00 pm

So i paid a Year subscription i said he should take off the months i spend then refund the others what's wrong with that? i paid Aug 22 this Year not last Year .

chrisj wrote:
Yet wrote:
chrisj wrote:
As for a refund, try that with a University. You sign up for a class, decide you don't like the teacher and drop. If it's past the drop date, you'll get nothing back. The University I'm at, if you wait too long, you get an E for the course.

I don't really get your point you mean if i am in the University i can't request for refund? or when student pay for a complete session & want to drop out they won't refund? that's new some times the way people make post they want to make you look stupid   .

I have spent a lot of time in colleges and universities, including one of the biggest names out there. Over the years, I had to drop some classes. If I dropped them before they began, I got a refund (if I had paid). The only time I ever got a refund after paying, when I dropped any classes after the start of the term, was the one semester I was ran over by a drunk driver.

Last edited by Yet on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Obviously there's a misunderstanding/miscommunication here. Regardless, there's an unhappy customer who's paid a significant amount of money for a product he's not happy with. He's not asking for all his money back, only the part he hasn't spent and doesn't intend to use. To me, that seems fair.

I also think the University analogy is not quite accurate here. Typically, a "subscription" comes with the ability to cancel, similar to a magazine, ISP, or a slew of other month-to-month items.

IMHO, HackingDojo is better served if Yet is given at least a partial refund and both parties walk away at least partly satisfied/dissatisfied. The rationale is that this kind of negative press could end up costing HackingDojo far more than the $1k they "lose".

Yet - I recommend you check out the site and see what the refund policy is (assuming there is one). Whenever I make a purchase I find out what the store's (online or brick/mortar) policy is. If they have a strict no refund policy, I typically take my business elsewhere. I do advise that you try to not to get too inflamed. Wait for Thomas to get back to you and see what you two can work out. Getting angry and getting the other guy angry just causes a stalemate. Good luck.

Update - I should caveat my post by saying that I am unfamiliar with HackingDojo and it's setup.
Last edited by DragonGorge on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

@DragonGorge i ain't mad at anyone, but it seen people are trying to make me looks like the bad guy here or i don't have the right to request for refund or i did something wrong asking for it .
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I don't think anyone explicitly said you don't have that right. They've just pointed out cases where people don't get a refund.

No Refund: car, house, University class,...the list goes on.
Refund/Credit: Amazon.com, book stores, insurance policy, magazine subscription,...the list goes on.

Again, stay cool. While I've never had any personal dealings with Thomas, from his posts, he seems like an okay guy and someone who's generally interested in building his course. Remember, try to find out what HackingDojo's refund policy is. I wouldn't mind seeing it posted here if it exists.
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Well i do business with other people also i always get refund without no problem, this is subscription even University make refund concerning the hackingdojo he stated it clear he has no reason to make refund .

DragonGorge wrote:I don't think anyone explicitly said you don't have that right. They've just pointed out cases where people don't get a refund.

No Refund: car, house, University class,...the list goes on.
Refund/Credit: Amazon.com, book stores, insurance policy, magazine subscription,...the list goes on.

Again, stay cool. While I've never had any personal dealings with Thomas, from his posts, he seems like an okay guy and someone who's generally interested in building his course. Remember, try to find out what HackingDojo's refund policy is. I wouldn't mind seeing it posted here if it exists.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:12 pm

I guess I don't understand why you didn't just take the exam or blow through the material you already know. Had this been a bait-and-switch, like you're making it out to be, I'd side with you completely. Instead, it seems like you've just decided not to follow the well-publicized progression through the program and are requesting a refund because he won't make an exception for you. That's a bit different than the "He ran off with my money" scenario that the title is suggesting. I would personally also be unlikely to refund someone's money just because he arbitrarily disagreed with the approach.

The reason the annual subscription is so much cheaper (nearly 50%, I believe) is exactly because you're paying for it all up-front. It's ridiculous to expect a 75% refund because you only used 25% of the time. That would get abused to no end. Additionally, the money might get immediately reinvested in marketing, hardware, etc. and no longer be available. The reason these discounts/plans exist is often to spur growth in exchange for less profit overall. If you were unsure that this was going to be a good fit, you should have bought a single month and tested the water prior to making such a commitment.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Yet

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

Well as i said before everyone see things differently, if you most know i didn't just came here to make post or i want to make awareness or increase my post, i make this thread thus things was unable to resolved also people have to right to agree or disagree but if both parties is unable to resolved issue on common ground they can go their separate ways without questions ask.
 Concerning the refund if there's no money i get that he can tell me when it would be available no question asked but not to tell me he's not going to make no refund that's bully forcing me to accept what i don't want. Also what do you mean by It's ridiculous to expect a 75% refund because you only used 25% ? cause that's really funny maybe you can tell me how this things really works? cause asking him to take off the time i have spent then refund i don't see big deal with that maybe it's i don't really know, also i don't care if he make exceptions or not .

ajohnson wrote:I guess I don't understand why you didn't just take the exam or blow through the material you already know. Had this been a bait-and-switch, like you're making it out to be, I'd side with you completely. Instead, it seems like you've just decided not to follow the well-publicized progression through the program and are requesting a refund because he won't make an exception for you. That's a bit different than the "He ran off with my money" scenario that the title is suggesting. I would personally also be unlikely to refund someone's money just because he arbitrarily disagreed with the approach.

The reason the annual subscription is so much cheaper (nearly 50%, I believe) is exactly because you're paying for it all up-front. It's ridiculous to expect a 75% refund because you only used 25% of the time. That would get abused to no end. Additionally, the money might get immediately reinvested in marketing, hardware, etc. and no longer be available. The reason these discounts/plans exist is often to spur growth in exchange for less profit overall. If you were unsure that this was going to be a good fit, you should have bought a single month and tested the water prior to making such a commitment.
Last edited by Yet on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 pm

I think ajohnson was explaining that the reason many courses do deep discount subscriptions, with no refunds, is that it costs money to maintain labs, etc.  I don't think it was suggesting "the money isn't there because it's spent on hardware, etc, but when it is, he could refund it, later."

The point is, you paid ~ (roughly) half price, or whatever it is, for a year's access to what could easily be considered intellectual property.  Thomas could easily have had other students waiting in line for your spot, who have since signed up for something else, due to availability.  Those people likely can't suddenly come around and pay for his, too, as they don't have any more extra cash lying around than you do.  So now, if he refunds you, not only did you get two months of exceptionally cheaper access, but you've in turn cost him more money, in students who missed out.

Someone contrasted to subscriptions...  Subscriptions to software assume you'll automatically have it turned off, etc.  Subscriptions to magazines, the same thing.  You aren't paying someone for their time or access to machines that are costly to maintain.  You  are also not paying their "salary."

So again, I'm not taking sides, but simply pointing out that there are multiple sides and reasons to every story.  Thomas may well work something out with you.  Or he may not.  I say be patient, and see how things progress.  Either way, I wish you well with your continued growth / learning / development, an I'm sorry you're currently disappointed and in a 'rut.'
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
PreviousNext

Return to Network Pen Testing