[OSCP]Suggestions on how to fulfill the prerequisites

<<

Shock

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: [OSCP]Suggestions on how to fulfill the prerequisites

Nicolas.Bourbaki wrote:Sorry for another post.

I have seen this cert. as well: eCPPT

What do you suggest as starting point?
OSCP or eCPPT?

Or are "similar" and one of them is enough?

Thanks!

If you don't think you're ready to take the OSCP, you can take the eCCPT. The cert is basically a stepping stone to taking the OSCP and is treated as such by most people here.

If you think you're ready to take the OSCP, then simply take it and don't bother with the eCCPT.
<<

Nicolas.Bourbaki

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Probably starting with eCPPT would be better, because I am coming from a Technical Support Field, mainly focused on Networking, and I do not have experience in the Security field.

Next week I am probably planning to start the SecurityTube certification of Python, and I would say once got it, I`ll try to figure out what can I do, because until March I will be working and Studying (college), so not such big time, after that I will be unemployed due to the expiration of my contract and I can focus more.

I would prefer cover my knowledge lack in this months, so mainly python, bash, GNU/Linux.
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 am

I did the eCPPT with the intention of doing the OSCP after, although I haven't started the OSCP yet (so I can't really comment on the progression between the courses). However,  I found the eCPPT really useful and learned a lot from it.

If you haven't seen them, there are a couple of good reviews on the eCPPT here:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/420/2/
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,8818.0/

Armando (Lead author of elearnSecurity courses) himself acknowledges that for many eCPPT > OSCP is considered a natural path.

http://security.stackexchange.com/quest ... e-security
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Nicolas.Bourbaki

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for the links, I had read them before.

Next week, maximum in 2, I will start the SecurityTube Python class, and I hope to get the certification in a couple of Months maximum.

In the meanwhile, I will start to see a bit of Linux and Bash scripting, in order to reach March with a solid knowledge of Python, a good command of Linux and Bash, TCP/IP&Network Knowledge and so on.

According to my salary, do the 2 courses (eCPPT and OSCP) will be too expensive, so I think I will be go straight with OSCP, maybe will be more difficult but If I will be able to manage I will probably cover a best range in a deeper way.

I would like to have, in July or August, the following cert:
CCNA, SecurityTube Python, OSCP and try to look up for a new job in Scandinavia or in UK, according to the market.
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:41 pm

With regards to Linux and bash scripting I found the following to be a useful resource:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Command-S ... 047025128X

Note: There is a second edition, my experience is based off of the first edition.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Nicolas.Bourbaki

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Great Man, I will give a look as soon as I will have the money!
<<

Nicolas.Bourbaki

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 am

Hello Guys,

I have chosen to enroll into the SecurityTube Training for Pythong Scripting Expert.
Later today or tomorrow I will pay the fee and I will start the class, I do not know how long it will take, according to my job and my classes at college, but i will try to do as much as possible, even if I am not in hurry, I have time before March.

I hope anyway to reach a good level of coding in few months, maybe before January.

Do you think the class is good for a novice?
I know is ok because it starts from the beginning, but it refers only to the Python part.
I do not know if I will understand all the theory (if there is theory) behind attacks and so on.

But it does not seems pre-requisites so I think I will try anyway!
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 am

I think vivek's stuff will indoctrinate you, nicely.  I've been programming for years, and still want to go through that course, as well, to get the perspectives, and pick up on tricks and methods that others use.  But based solely on what I've seen from his other offerings, I think you'll learn a lot, regardless of your current level.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Nicolas.Bourbaki

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I have enrolled right now, I will receive new informations tomorrow, according to their mail.

I will keep track of my progress here: http://grrlz.tumblr.com/
(Tomorrow or as soon as I will have time, I will add the comment and maybe change a bit the template).
<<

sh4d0wmanPP

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 am

I did face the same challenge as you and have just signup and started eCPPT.

The reason for choosing this course is that my web-pentesting skills are weak. This course offers a good explanation, haven;t tried out their lab yet but will do it later on.

I know most of the info I got but putting it in a clear order makes it more easy to put together. Will write up something after I went through all material and the exam so stay tuned haha.

For OSCP preparations I recommend to read through their live training story: http://www.offensive-security.com/offse ... an-part-1/

It points out some of the PWB focus and you can research these items youself beforehand.
EXIN ISO/IEC 27002: ISF & ISMAS, ITIL Foundation, Comptia Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, Wip: OSWP
Previous

Return to Network Pen Testing