Certification plans for 2013?

<<

azmatt

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: Certification plans for 2013?

I didn't have much interest in the 501 but two months ago I took 401 with Eric Cole and did indeed have a blast. 501 is now on my wish list as well.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 am

azmatt wrote:I didn't have much interest in the 501 but two months ago I took 401 with Eric Cole and did indeed have a blast. 501 is now on my wish list as well.

I think pretty much any SANS conference is going to be awesome. I was only at the recent Orlando conference over the weekend for an exam, but the energy and enthusiasm was off the charts. I'm definitely rethinking shelling out the money for a live course; the networking opportunities may be more valuable than the core course material.

Also, I have three or four books for 501 because I've written some questions for the exam. I thought the 401 material was rudimentary (which is fine if you're starting out), but the 501 material was pretty solid. It definitely seems like a worthwhile course that has content you can't scrap together in a few general books.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

giveen

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 am

New here.

Done so far for 2013:
Security+
C|EH

Next to be done:
CHFI (next week)
ACE (in May)

My college offers a AAS in Information Security and Digital Forensics. Long term goal is to study Python over this summer and go for my OSCP when I have the funds available.
<<

Triban

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 pm

ajohnson wrote:
azmatt wrote:I didn't have much interest in the 501 but two months ago I took 401 with Eric Cole and did indeed have a blast. 501 is now on my wish list as well.

I think pretty much any SANS conference is going to be awesome. I was only at the recent Orlando conference over the weekend for an exam, but the energy and enthusiasm was off the charts. I'm definitely rethinking shelling out the money for a live course; the networking opportunities may be more valuable than the core course material.

Also, I have three or four books for 501 because I've written some questions for the exam. I thought the 401 material was rudimentary (which is fine if you're starting out), but the 501 material was pretty solid. It definitely seems like a worthwhile course that has content you can't scrap together in a few general books.

Unfortunately can squeeze in the travel this year for it so it is OnDemand for me.  Which is fine, I may shoot for a live one next year.  Trying to save some travel requests for things like DerbyCon.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am

ajohnson wrote:Are you going for a degree or do you just want to learn? If you're not interested in a degree, check out Coursera and/or Udacity.

I'm split on education. On one hand many federal GS Jobs will require a degree to even be considered I've been determined to be unqualified for gs5 and above... I think i'm being filtered because of the lack of a degree before everything. I'm also considering a future in Cyber LE, and all Special Agent positions require a degree (excluding Army CID).

Outside of that, the biggest desire I have is to gain hands on experience. If I dont get it through school (certificate program), the only option is a Jr. Network Engineer/Admin position, which I can do, assuming I can find one in a decent locale.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

n37sh@rk

Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 am

C|EH and CPT in May then im not really sure where ill go next.
C|EH,CPT
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 am

dynamik wrote:Now I've signed up for OffSec's AWE course at BlackHat.

Awaiting your review. ;)
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:46 pm

UNIX wrote:

Awaiting your review. ;)

My brain still hurts; it hasn't even been a week. I'm going to wait until after the exam, which is probably going to be at least six weeks out. I ordered about $200 in books to fill in gaps as we went through the course.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:16 pm

dynamik wrote:
UNIX wrote:

Awaiting your review. ;)

My brain still hurts; it hasn't even been a week. I'm going to wait until after the exam, which is probably going to be at least six weeks out. I ordered about $200 in books to fill in gaps as we went through the course.

So....... You're saying...... You had fun?!? :P

Definitely let us know how it went. Glad you had the opportunity to get out there and take it!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Yababa

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:42 pm

My certification plans are whenever I feel like doing it. That's how it should be for everyone else. No one should care about getting labeled certifications dragons, or any of that bullshit. It should be whenever, however, and whatever you need to do.
A+ | Network+ | Security+ |

CCCENT | Linux+ | CCNA

C|EH | eCCPT | eWPT

GPEN | GSEC | GCFW | GCFA | GSLA
Previous

Return to General Certification