Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

<<

shadowzero

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

Saw this on Joe McCray's twitter today: http://strategicsec.com/2012/10/04/your-first-ctf/

It's geared towards newbies, but it's not free. Thought I'd share for those interested in practicing.
<<

jason

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

Very cool. Although its not free, its so cheap that its nearly so.
<<

prats84

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks.. really cool.
<<

Triban

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 pm

I am considering this, seems like it would be fun.  I like the idea of the training before the actual CTF.  I have yet to participate in one and when I have attempted, I am just at a loss (or just can't get on long enough to search because some a$$ is dropping the connections).  75 bucks for the training and CTF registration.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:11 pm

If I get a new Credit Card in time to sign up I will be. (Glaring at The Pub in Louisville, even if it is 350+  miles away).

Actually quick conversation with Joe on Twitter, if you're going ot be doing CCDC this year (I could but mentoring instead at school), he says this will help.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Malachai

Post Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:20 pm

I was thinking about signing up to this last night since I found it. But my thing is I never done anything like that or played that. I heard it's lots of fun.

Last night and this morning I been trying to find out what skills you need or some kind of information on how to play..

You could say I'm a n00b to ctf thing.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 am

Malachi,

I would assume if you sign up for the class... he'll teach you the skills to play. :)

From the site:
"From October 22nd – November 11th I’ll provide you with access to the Strategic Sec lab network that will be full of challenges with explanations and step-by-step walkthroughs for each challenge."
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Malachai

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm going to sign up but just wanted to make sure it's not like advance or didn't want to be left in the dark ....lol...
<<

shadowzero

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Malachai wrote:I'm going to sign up but just wanted to make sure it's not like advance or didn't want to be left in the dark ....lol...

It does say for newbies, and you get a month of training. During that time you should be able to evaluate your skillset and determine what your weaknesses are.

I just noticed too that the winners of the CTF get to take a Strategic Security course of their choosing for free. Seems like a good deal.
<<

Triban

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Signed up for both.  Mainly because I am interested in how a CTF is conducted.  Just seems like a fun activity to do and I am always intimidated by the ones that happen at the Cons and other events.
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 pm

3xban wrote:Signed up for both.  Mainly because I am interested in how a CTF is conducted.  Just seems like a fun activity to do and I am always intimidated by the ones that happen at the Cons and other events.

I'm signed up too. More interested in learning than winning anything.

If we don't care about winning, maybe we should set up an EH-Net team (we'd probably win anyway ;) ).
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm

chrisj wrote:I'm signed up too. More interested in learning than winning anything.

If we don't care about winning, maybe we should set up an EH-Net team (we'd probably win anyway ;) ).

I'd be game for that, same thing, don't care so much about winning, but would love to get the skills down a little.
(@)Dewser
<<

jexplorer

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I am not a pro on pentesting nor an infosec gur yet. I have been doing network administration and some security. I have done my Sec+ , do you think this training on ctf will be helpful for someone newbie like me?? I know this question or sth similar to it has been asked but want to get more idea from you awesome professional guys to get me going :)
<<

rattis

Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:40 pm

from you awesome professional guys

Way to butter us up. ;)

But yeah, you'll get clues. I'm not a pen-tester. I really only do CTFs to get an idea of some of the attack to make my defense better. Heck the talk I've been giving at Cons this year, came out of the RuCTFe last year.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

lorddicranius

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:59 pm

3xban wrote:
chrisj wrote:I'm signed up too. More interested in learning than winning anything.

I'd be game for that, same thing, don't care so much about winning, but would love to get the skills down a little.

Count me in, just signed up :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing