Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

<<

JohnE

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

No, I haven't as yet. But then again, I didn't get the first week details until 7 hours from now, this day last week.

Also, don't know if he has been caught up in the problems on the east coast of US.
A+, MCITP, CEH, GSEC
<<

Triban

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:56 am

waynegs wrote:Has anyone received information on week 2 of the training?

Joe sent out a note this morning or so, he is delayed on the week 2 material.  He should have it out by the weekend, which is fine because I am still working on Week 1 :-p  Stupid work and hurricanes keep getting in the way :D 
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:28 am

Same (sans the hurricane - west coast here).  Started a new job last week, so I haven't been able to get through week one yet either.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:46 am

I don't feel as bad then. My university workload has kept me pretty buried this term, hoping to work on this and my python study group stuff tonight.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

JohnE

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:15 am

Anyone received the information for week 2 yet?
A+, MCITP, CEH, GSEC
<<

rattis

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Not yet.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 am

It appears he is delayed.  I am still working on the week 1  stuff.  I'm slow :D  or maybe I get side tracked, like I got annoyed because I had to fix the time on the VM he gave us, took me a while to find out I could just install ntp and run that.  GUI wouldn't allow you to change without the root pw, and the "strategicsec" pw wasn't working.  Did some command line changes but the time zone wouldn't take, used NTP and no problem. 

Then got down to the Fedora server and used my internal domain name which after I got down to the BIND setup realized that it might not work.  Still pretty sure the setup isn't going to work because the external IP range doesn't have anything available to point back to the VM.  Thinking I may have to just setup a 2nd virtual adapter and configure for Bridge.  I find I am spending more time adjusting the instructions to fit my lab.  It isn't a bad thing but the timing will be off.  Thinking of scrapping the current install and starting from scratch.  Question though, is the external settings even needed?
(@)Dewser
<<

JohnE

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Okay, Joe has sent the week 2 details.

I was able to download the small rar file, but both the VM links fail, anyone had any luck downloading them?
A+, MCITP, CEH, GSEC
<<

rattis

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm

@ 3xBan: Ubuntu creates a random root password that no one knows. Way around that in the future (so you can use the gui),
sudo su -
passwd

Set the password to what you want. Also VM usually ignore time, including ntp (been my experience), instead taking it from a "WALL CLOCK" on the host.

I haven't gotten to the Fedora set up section yet. However I would be conserned about putting any box related to a CTF on the internet. It might be better (once I read the stuff on Fedora I'll know for sure), to set everything to HOST based networking (prevent from talking to anything off the host server) and set up DNS at that level. Or at the very least the /etc/hosts file.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Chrisj, yeah not putting these on the internet directly.  Just enough to get the apps installed and once all is good, I will switch them to a Host Only or create a new VM network for this. 

I am just wondering if these are being built just for the learning factor or if we will be using them later on in the training. 
(@)Dewser
<<

lee122

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I downloaded the new virtual images for the week two assignment, but I am having issues with the windows image. I was just wondering If it is the image and others are having problems. The issue I am having is after I mount the virtual disk to virtual box and lunch the os it just hangs and never boots up. I haven't had any problems with the Linux ones.

Thanks
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 pm

I haven't been able to dive into the VM's yet, but the file extension on the Windows one is "vmwarevm."  Have you tried using VMWare Player?  I think I remember seeing something about mounting VMWare VM's in VirtualBox in newer versions, but I haven't messed with that ability yet.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

lee122

Post Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:28 pm

ok yea virtual box seems to be ok with the vmware images but the windows one might have some issues. I will download vmware and try it with that. thanks
<<

Nefarious

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm doing this also .. still working on week one, but getting there.
CISSP, GCIA, C|EH, CPT, Security+
<<

Nefarious

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Has anybody gotten though building the Fedora server?  I'm building it on a VM and DNS is giving me a hell of a time.  Pretty sure my files are right, but I don't know if theirs are :)
CISSP, GCIA, C|EH, CPT, Security+
PreviousNext

Return to Network Pen Testing