Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

<<

rattis

Post Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Your First CTF (CTF for newbies)

from everything I've heard and seen, everyone is having problems with the fedora build and dns. but I haven't gotten there yet.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:40 am

I think the building of the OS and such is strictly a learning exercise.  I've gone ahead and looked through the rest of the notes and didn't find any reference to it. 

Testing out the VPN at the moment and not having any luck with the authentication.  Anyone else having that problem?  Sent an email to Joe to see if there is an issue.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Triban

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:44 pm

In case anyone is having a problem with the VPN connecting, you will want to change the last octet of the host server to "162."  For those that don't know, open the OpenVPN config file on the strategic sec ubuntu VM and make the change there.  Works like a champ.

This was as of today (11/11), the 161 may get used at a later date.
(@)Dewser
<<

Triban

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Anyone else have issues running the SQLiX script?  Looks like it can't seem to find WWW/CheckSite/Spider.pm

Code:
Can't locate WWW/CheckSite/Spider.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /home/strategicsec/perl5/lib/perl5/i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int /home/strategicsec/perl5/lib/perl5/i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int /home/strategicsec/perl5/lib/perl5 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at SQLiX.pl line 76.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at SQLiX.pl line 76.

Checked around found some issues around reinstalling the CheckSite piece but that failed and then I got tired.  I'm behind so I've just been noting it and moving on but I get annoyed about things I can't resolve.

Also since this was a CTF for "newbs" I was hoping for a bit more interaction from Joe and the team.  The training has really just been "here have these docs and follow them" but they all seem to just have run this, use this and boom you get results.  They seem to be docs from some of the training they may have done. 

I am also wondering how the CTF teams will be setup.  Anyway back to this thing. 
(@)Dewser
Previous

Return to Network Pen Testing