Recomended book for Pen Tester

<<

jasohansen

Post Tue May 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Recomended book for Pen Tester

I enjoyed the first half of Professional Penetration Testing for its insight into the team/business aspect or pentesting. The second half was good as well.

Hacking Exposed was good. I'm thinking of picking up the wireless book. Its an easy read because its broken down into the different steps of a pen test, and then broken down further into tools/vectors. For someone like me who fits reading in here and there and not in big chunks, I could break it down easily and not have to stop mid thought.

Hacking: Art of Exploitation

Currently reading Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue May 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Ninja Hacking: Unconventional Penetration Testing Tactics and Techniques

I have not had the chance to read it yet but it has been recommended on this site many times.  It seems like a very good read especially if you want to use "uncommon" techniques for pentesting.  I am currently reading Dissecting the Hack and the Web Application Hackers Handbook.  Hopefully I can get to Ninja Hacking before Ghost in the Wires comes out. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Hacking-Unc ... 854&sr=1-3
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

millwalll

Post Tue May 17, 2011 3:54 pm

It is a good book I have read it already
<<

venom77

Post Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 pm

chrisj wrote:How does it compare to the other books that publisher put out? I tried reading their Xen book, but the pages all fell out, and it looked like there was no technical editor for it. I kept sending in errata, for non-working commands, with what they should have been, but never saw the page updated.

Probably on the same level. I picked up a copy when I saw it mentioned in the forums here. I've only read the first 2 chapters so far but the lack of editing (spelling/grammar) is quite apparent. I was hesitant to purchase because I didn't recognize the author names and had a feeling it may turn out this way. I'll provide more feedback on it as I make my way through.
<<

jason

Post Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Agoonie wrote:Ninja Hacking: Unconventional Penetration Testing Tactics and Techniques

I have not had the chance to read it yet but it has been recommended on this site many times.  It seems like a very good read especially if you want to use "uncommon" techniques for pentesting. 

Glad you're liking it  8)
<<

millwalll

Post Wed May 18, 2011 7:38 am

BillV wrote:
chrisj wrote:How does it compare to the other books that publisher put out? I tried reading their Xen book, but the pages all fell out, and it looked like there was no technical editor for it. I kept sending in errata, for non-working commands, with what they should have been, but never saw the page updated.

Probably on the same level. I picked up a copy when I saw it mentioned in the forums here. I've only read the first 2 chapters so far but the lack of editing (spelling/grammar) is quite apparent. I was hesitant to purchase because I didn't recognize the author names and had a feeling it may turn out this way. I'll provide more feedback on it as I make my way through.

If you were new to pen tester never used BT before then it maybe a good buy. I personally found it very basic lacking any real detail and depth. It covers I would say 65% of the tools in BT4 but just the basic of them so what they are used for and one line command to run them. And it does not even mention wireless tools from what I can remember.

I would say it didn't really teach me anything I could not find out in the man pages or help page of a tool.
<<

venom77

Post Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'm only a little further now but the first tool they present has the wrong syntax :-\
<<

rabray

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Not finished reading ed skoudis counter hack reloaded yet but I would recommend this. A number of core principles discussed in easy to understand manner. Providing info on the important ethical nature of pen testers. Remediation/mitigation strategy, Hoping to see a new edition.

Social engineering the art of human hacking is also an interesting read.

Web app handbook and network security assessment. Both good resources in my view.
---------------------------------------
CEH, eCPPT, MCT, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Net+

Never been the flamin type.
<<

labamba

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 am

I personally recommend Cisco's Penetration Testing and Network Defense. It's a very good catch and Counter Hack Reloaded.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:09 am

A thing I like to do is go to amazon and type in Pen Testing and every book that comes up I look inside and normally you can read the first chapter, I have found many a book this way.  If you can't read the first chapter on amazon try Google books.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

n3r

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:38 am

As i said in other topics i would like to buy a book about coding and writing exploits. I've a good level on C language and i'm currently learning Python, i have seen two books : The Art of Exploitation and Coding for Penetration testers.
which one should i choose ?
<<

rance

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:15 am

n3r wrote:As i said in other topics i would like to buy a book about coding and writing exploits. I've a good level on C language and i'm currently learning Python, i have seen two books : The Art of Exploitation and Coding for Penetration testers.
which one should i choose ?

I'm working through "Coding for Penetration Testers" right now.  Only got it last week, so I haven't read the book in depth yet, however:

Pros: Touches many languages, gives a lot of examples of coding, well, pen test tools, so it gets in to a lot of the socket stuff, remote calls, etc.

Cons: It only *briefly* touches on all the languages.  If you want an in-depth programming guide for a particular language, this isn't it.  If you want to learn the language, I'd probably suggest an O'Reilly book, such as this one: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596158118.do
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

n3r

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:28 pm

thanks !
So it's better to learn for example Python from a book like Dive into Python before going to Syngress' one.
And what about Art of exploitation ? As i've learnt C language maybe it's a better option to go for this one.
<<

Forgotten

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 am

As some others have said, there are tons of books that will be helpful.  I really liked The Art of Exploitation and Metasploit: A Penetration Tester's Guide.
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

The Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit Third Edition, I think it'll be interesting to read, as I already read version 2 / second edition, so I can't wait to read version 3 that's on its way to me  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
PreviousNext

Return to Book Reviews