python newbie

<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:52 pm

python newbie

Hi guys.
I dont know anything about python but i heard its a good language for hackers and coz of that i decided to learn it so i have two question:

1. What do u thing about cbt nuggets python programming language Is it a good training package to buy?

2. After i learnt python can i write exploits using this language? Or i need to learn so exploitation technics?

Thanx alot.
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

superkojiman

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Re: python newbie

There are plenty of good online resources for learning python, even the main site has a decent beginner's tutorial.

Python is just a tool, you need to understand how exploits work before you can take advantage of them. Once you know what needs to be done, you can certainly use python to do it, or even perl, or ruby, or C. Python is nice because it's quick and easy to start with.
OSCP + OSCE
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:20 pm

ok man have u tried the cbt nuggets? I extremely wanna buy it
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Not home this evening, bit I THINK my son has either CBT Nuggets or TrainSignal Python.  I'll have a look when I'm home, tomorrow, and ask him which one, and how he's liked it.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Learning Python The Hardway is a good place to start and it's free.  Also I think Google Code has a tutorial on Python. 

But like superkojiman said, it is a tool, usually its a method to prepare your exploit for delivery.  You create py scripts to maybe encode or obfuscate your exploit code.  Maybe have the script complete a series of other tasks for your exploit delivery.  Remember not all computers have python installed, and not all give you the ability to install it. 

Here's a video from Dave Kennedy did at BSidesCLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psOgFtIGpSY
He shows some usage of py scripts, SET, and even powershell to delivery a binary to a system for exploitation.

Enjoy
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:40 pm

I see you have come to the dark side and decided to get to know python :-)

Security Tube has a heap of great vid's

http://www.securitytube.net/tags/python

And the net is just full of great info... the best way I have found it to just jump in! Have a play with the language.
<<

m0wgli

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 am

Another free resource that has some good Python tutorials:

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=36
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

unicityd

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:31 am

Check out Learn Python the Hard Way.  You can read it online for free.

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

jjwinter

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:20 am

I've looked at the free MIT videos, and Python The Hardway. I found the hardway stuff to be more helpful.
<<

rattis

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

I'm going to be running a python study group for MichSec.org it's a 2 to 3 month program we meet once a week via the inernet to discuss what we did that week and what we're doing the next week. code review, people to ask if there are problems.

Week 1 will be Google Code University's Python Class.

After that we're doing Python the Hard Way

There are just too many good free options for learning Python, to end up wasting money on learning, unless you want to buy a book.

If you think that the money will make you do the program. Make a bet for the cost of the CBT. Look at what the CBT claims to teach you and how quickly. Then set a dead line, what you should be able to do to that point. And if you fail give the money to someone. If you make it, you get to keep the money.
Last edited by rattis on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:33 pm

As stated by the others (and as we discussed when you pm'd me), I learned via the freebies and from books, on my own, while my son did the CBT route, for Python.

That said, as promised, I DID ask my son which one he was using.  He has CBT Nuggets' Python course, and DID get a lot from it.  However, he was devoted to it, pretty consistently, as other than a very basic Perl class he took, in school, he'd never done any other programming, at all.

He said that, had he had more time, he would've self-studied it, too, but since programming in his Perl class seemed to come easily for him, he figured he might get through some basic 'instructed / mentored' lessons and get up to speed more quickly.

Definitely seemed positive, for him.  But if $$ is an issue, perhaps do like chrisj suggested (bet someone), as a cheaper, and more motivational alternative.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:22 pm

firstly i wanna say thank u soooooooo  much hayabusa, unicityd, chrisj and all of other friends who helped me.

Unicityd that web site was great and im going to read the html version of the book.

Hayabusa cbt nuggets is always good again except cbt nuggets cehv7 lol! Thank u and i wish the bests for both of u.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 am

There are lots free website that have material on for python. I would say do the basic free stuff so learn loops,ifs,  so on then do securitytube python course.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

termight

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Cyber.spirit,

I'll recommend the following

1) Abyteofpython  http://www.swaroopch.org/notes/Python "free"

2) LearnPythonTheHardway  http://learnpythonthehardway.org/
"free when reading online" but you can pay for the online program $29 or buy the hard copy book. Buying the book or taking the online class helps Zad maintain the site.

3) SPSE    http://www.securitytube.net/video/3786 "free without Certification" Paid with Cert.

4) http://docs.python.org/  "free"

Personally i'm using all these books and resources I like studying with different resources, I mostly pay to help the hackers community

Hope it helps.
>>There Is Always A Blind Spot In
>>Every Software, It's Up To Us To Find It
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm

T3rm1ght wrote:3) SPSE    http://www.securitytube.net/video/3786 "free without Certification" Paid with Cert.

Do you have a direct link for that?

Other than a couple of course samples best I can find is the promotional pricing of $250 for course + cert.

Still looks (and sounds, from those I know working through it) to be well worth the price, but if there's a (legit) free avenue to the material I'd be a fool to part with my cash....
Next

Return to Programming