Suplementing with samurai skills?

<<

Dranex

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 am

Suplementing with samurai skills?

I'm not too far off diving into the OSCP now (i hope).. I've had a few years experience as an IT admin, studied security in uni, have done a LOT of reading and im currently learning python.

My question is, do you think its worth taking the ninja sec samurai course as a 'suplement' to the OSCP? I feel im not far off but im currently still working so dont have a great deal of time (for now) and there are some technical aspects you can only gain from practicals. I also live in the UK so would qualify for the 50% off offer. Is it worth going for it and having more hands on experience before I take on the bigger challenge?
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 am

Re: Suplementing with samurai skills?

PM'd you.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:55 am

I would like to see that answer, anybody?
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

sunrise1982

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm

me too i would like to see the answer
<<

DragonGorge

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Well heck, now I'm interested too!!!!
<<

sternone

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Me too.

Answering a public message with a public message that you PM'd is LAME !

;D ;) ;D >:(
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm sure hayabusa has his reasons for doing so, and it's up to him whether or not to make it public.

However, the impression I'm left with is that "Saying nothing... sometimes says the most."
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 pm

sternone wrote:Me too.

Answering a public message with a public message that you PM'd is LAME !

;D ;) ;D >:(

Ahh, and sternone goes on the attack, again...  Sorry if I hit a little too close to home on some remarks, here, but since he obviously asked for it...

@sternone - You should be shocked that I'm not openly cheering on a course, right?  Oh yeah, I forgot, you think I'm an Offsec employee or something, and am "lame" as a follower of their drivel...  Yet, if anyone's read my review of Samurai Skills, you / they should have SOME idea, already, as to my answer to the question. posed in this thread.

Since you so adamantly want to know...

He asked if it was worth taking as a supplement.  Sure.  ANY class is a good supplement.  The reason I PM'd him was to explain that, while Ninja-sec does have some good info in their course, it's NOT the same as Offsec's, and is NOT what I'd consider to be a 'primer' for OSCP.  Each has it's high points, each has it's low.

<rant>
Just ask sternone about low points, he'll be glad to point out every minute flaw he can find in something, even when he's OPENLY started a thread with nothing but praise, and only starts ranting when he realizes the challenges and realism that he so blatantly praised Offsec for, in the beginning of the thread, are now frustrating to him...)
</rant>

Sorry sternone, but I shoot straight, based on what I see.  What's the phrase...  'Takes one to know one'?    ::)  I saw some responses to some things already, on your thread, else, I might've already hit you there.  (Funny how karma bites you in the @$$ sometimes, huh?)

That said, OSCP is VERY rounded, and challenges you on a lot of areas, while making you think outside the box.  Very little is actually 'handed to you.'  While I've admittedly NOT spent much time in Ninja-sec's labs, their course spends a lot more time 'specifically' guiding you through certain attacks, leading to root access (so MAYBE, if he didn't like the OSCP lack of 'specific' hand-held practice, sternone might've felt better in Ninja-sec's course.  Perhaps his multiple monitors come in more handy for watching instruction and step-by-step stuff, so he can keep up, I dunno...  :P

When I say this, I'm NOT down-talking on Ninja-sec or their course.  Everyone's teaching and learning styles are different.  Ninja-sec has good information in their course, and I'm glad I am given the opportunity to review for them, as it's interesting to see different approaches, and to have SOME idea what to recommend to people, depending on their funds, needs and learning styles / abilities.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:19 pm

PS - sternone...

I'm sorry, but as the rest of the posters were actually 'politely' hinting that they wanted the answers, I didn't expect to be referred to as LAME, regardless of whether it was in jest.  I respectfully (yet again) offer up the token olive branch of peace, and suggest we put the slams to bed.

How 'bout it?
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

impelse

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am

hayabusa

We know that, we know the different styles and routes for learning, we just wanted to joke a little about the PM, lol..

Yes, I read your review and before you mention it I remembered.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

MaXe

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 am

hayabusa wrote:PS - sternone...

I'm sorry, but as the rest of the posters were actually 'politely' hinting that they wanted the answers, I didn't expect to be referred to as LAME, regardless of whether it was in jest.  I respectfully (yet again) offer up the token olive branch of peace, and suggest we put the slams to bed.

How 'bout it?

Just look at what happened to the guy that called "Kevin Mitnick" lame in Hackers 2: Operation Takedown  ;D
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

sternone

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:09 am

:D

Look, you are one of the guys here with a lot of knowledge that a lot of guys like me are looking for.

That's the quest we are in. That's what we put all our efforts in, that's the pain we are feeling every day. That's what you have been doing to achieve your level.

When you speak, we listen.

When we ask, and you answer, we listen.

Now you can just think about how it sounds when you respond to a public message in public that you sent a PM.

That's just lame in my opinion.

I learned a lot from your answers and your comments and I hope to do so in the future. The difference between me and you is that I think that you give answers to help people, steer them in the right direction, make the quest a little less hard than it was for you. Not because you need affection or self-esteem, like you accused me at me before.
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

sternone

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 am

MaXe wrote:
hayabusa wrote:PS - sternone...

How 'bout it?

Just look at what happened to the guy that called "Kevin Mitnick" lame in Hackers 2: Operation Takedown  ;D

Please elaborate. What is going to happen with me.

If you are posting stuff like that, you should stand up and say exactly what you want to say to me.

What is the meaning of this post. That I need to shut up or watch out ? Watch out for what, for you, for others ? Really ?

You can answer me in PM if you don't have the balls to do it in public.
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 am

sternone wrote: :D

Look, you are one of the guys here with a lot of knowledge that a lot of guys like me are looking for.

That's the quest we are in. That's what we put all our efforts in, that's the pain we are feeling every day. That's what you have been doing to achieve your level.

When you speak, we listen.

When we ask, and you answer, we listen.

Now you can just think about how it sounds when you respond to a public message in public that you sent a PM.

That's just lame in my opinion.

I learned a lot from your answers and your comments and I hope to do so in the future. The difference between me and you is that I think that you give answers to help people, steer them in the right direction, make the quest a little less hard than it was for you. Not because you need affection or self-esteem, like you accused me at me before.

OK.  I THINK this means the 'olive branch' was aggreed upon.  Thank you.

I understand your 'LAME' reference, in general, just that, after some of our previous discussions, I didn't take it as jest.

As for MaXe's comments, I wouldn't fire back so harshly at him, either.  I believe he was just trying to lighten the mood.  Nothing will happen to you, by me, solely over posts on a forum.  No worries.  8)

Anyway, looking forward to reading about your continued successes in the OSCP thread.  Good luck!
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

sternone

Post Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 am

As for MaXe's comments, I wouldn't fire back so harshly at him, either.  I believe he was just trying to lighten the mood.  Nothing will happen to you, by me, solely over posts on a forum.  No worries.   8)

Just for the record, I'm not scared at all. If somebody yells at me, sure why not, I like that. But don't be surprised you get yelled back.

You hit me, fine, but I hit back, it's your problem if I hit harder than you do.
Try harder....hmpf!!
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional