Certification Paths?

<<

jnchu

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Certification Paths?

I am a recent graduate from a university, getting my B.S. in Information Management. I worked 2 jobs during the school year doing a little tech support. Now I am out in the real world as a Data Analyst, but to be honest it is not as challenging or technical as I hoped it would have been. Now I am looking into nabbing some certifications and I have done some research. What I have so far mapped in my head is Network+ > Security+ > GSEC or CISSP (or both) and then go into specific certs based on what I choose my career path to be (leaning towards security or mobile app/mobile app security). Any suggestions or comments would help. Also I've heard a lot about the Cisco and Microsoft certs but I do not know how god they will do me or not? Thanks guys in advance, I truly appreciate it.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: Certification Paths?

This is a common question. Do a little searching on the forums. There are lots of facets of security, try to figure out which one you're interested in. It will be easier to give you ideas if you cant find them in your searches.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:51 am

Re: Certification Paths?

Also, I'm not sure how much the CompTIA certs are going to do for you if you already have your foot in the door, not to mention a degree. Those are very basic and are most useful in landing an entry-level position. I'd start a step up from those if I were you, such as the CCNA instead of the Network+, if you wish to pursue networking.

Finally, focus on developing a solid foundation in whatever technologies you want to specialize in securing (systems, networking, web apps, mobile devices, etc.). You're going to be mediocre at best if you rush straight into security.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to General Certification