'Logic Bomb' Backfires on Hacker

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:11 pm

'Logic Bomb' Backfires on Hacker

Apparently, crime doesn't pay!

NEW YORK (Reuters)—A former UBS PaineWebber employee was sentenced to eight years in prison on Wednesday for planting a computer "logic bomb" on company networks and betting its stock would go down.

The investment scheme backfired when UBS stock remained stable after the computer attack and Roger Duronio lost more than $23,000.

A federal judge in New Jersey sentenced Duronio, 64, to 97 months in prison and ordered him to make $3.1 million in restitution to his former employer, the U.S. attorney's office said in a statement.

Duronio was convicted on July 19 of one count of securities fraud and one count of computer fraud in the 2002 case.

Duronio quit his job as a systems administrator in February 2002 after repeatedly expressing dissatisfaction about his salary and bonuses, the statement said.

He then planted malicious computer code known as a "logic bomb" in about 1,000 of PaineWebber's approximately 1,500 networked computers in branch offices. On March 4, 2002, the "bomb" detonated and began deleting files.

Duronio attempted to profit from the attack, the statement said. He bought more than $23,000 in put option contracts for UBS AG stock, betting the stock's price would go down after his "logic bomb" went off.

But, according to testimony at his trial, the stock remained stable after the computer attack and Duronio lost all of his investment.

Original story:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2072394,00.asp

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

luckydevil

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:31 pm

Re: 'Logic Bomb' Backfires on Hacker

interesting story..
one question though, it mentions that he planted a logic bomb in 1000 out of 1500 systems and that things did not go his way. Did his bomb not go off or did he target the wrong systems? If you are going to do something like that then you tend to think it through ( especially if you are forking out $23k). Are there any other details about this?
I suppose it shows that the systems were very resilient either that or his was not very good or unlucky.
Is it me or do alot of these stories blow the situation up a bit to make it newsworthy without giving any credible information?
Nothing is impossible just improbable!!!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:33 pm

I just copied the story, so I don't have any more info. I thought it fit into the category of "stupid criminals," and I always find stupid people funny.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

plik

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Bit more info on the reg's article (but not much more)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/13/ubs_logic_bomber_sentenced/

Return to News from the Outside World