forensics audit recommendations

<<

linux1

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 pm

forensics audit recommendations

I have been having a problem with someone cracking into my computer systems for awhile now and I have been unable to stop it myself. I am thinking it is time to hire a professional to help me find out how they got into my computer and/or network.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who would provide this type of service for a home user? I am looking for someone basically to remote audit my computer and network to find out where any possible exploits may have taken place, and they would have to be experienced with Linux. Most recently I have been running an extremely hardened and locked down linux derivative with a heavily encrypted VPN and still they somehow got into my system (I can tell you why I know that, but for the sake of this discussion let's just assume this is the case).

Can anyone recommend someone who might be able to help with this issue?

Thanks
Last edited by linux1 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jjwinter

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 am

Re: forensics audit recommendations

Where are you located? Perhaps someone here lives in your area.

Do you have a wireless access point? Most residential-grade routers can be hacked.

What kind of setup do you have at home? What lead you to believe there was an issue?
<<

Eleven

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 pm

The folks at LinuxQuestions often help people for free, if it's a Linux computer you believe is compromised.  Be prepared to post actual evidence of why you think you've been compromised.  Every once in a while they get someone who is clearly paranoid.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ecurity-4/
<<

rattis

Post Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm curious what makes you think you've got people in the system, how you know they're there, and what you did to harden the systems. Are you patches up todate, and have you scanned yourself.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Forensics