What tools are not allowed on the OSCP exam ?

<<

sternone

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 am

What tools are not allowed on the OSCP exam ?

I'm prepping hard for the OSCP exam.

But I want to know exactly what tools I can't use at the exam so I don't have this huge suprise that I can't use a certain toolkit.

It's obvious that you can't use NESSUS or METASPLOIT on the exam but what about other scripts ?

Thanks for the help. I just wanna follow the rules and be prepared !
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 am

Re: What tools are not allowed on the OSCP exam ?

All restrictions are mentioned in the exam guide that will be sent just before the exam starts.
<<

jjwinter

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 am

Seems kinda scary to not have more warning than that.

"Exam participants may not use the letters 'h', 'k', or 'm', or use the 'Enter' key. Scripts are permitted, but must be written in l33t."
<<

shadowzero

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 am

jjwinter wrote:Seems kinda scary to not have more warning than that.

"Exam participants may not use the letters 'h', 'k', or 'm', or use the 'Enter' key. Scripts are permitted, but must be written in l33t."

It will prepare you for occasions when you can't use your favorite tool, and will have to find a way around it. Knowing more than one way to accomplish a task will be handy.
<<

sternone

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:41 am

aweSEC wrote:All restrictions are mentioned in the exam guide that will be sent just before the exam starts.

thanks. but no thanks. :-)

Why can't I know before ? So I can train more ?
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 am

Because those are the rules. :P

But seriously, if you don't just rely on MSF or a vulnerability scanner in the labs, you shouldn't face any problems in the exam either. ;)
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

sternone...

Don't take this wrong, but... How many times, and in how many threads, can you ask this same question?  As others have said, unfortunately, we can't give you the specific answers you're hoping for.  Not only would it give you an unfair advantage in the exam, but it would devalue it for others, who DID challenge it, blindly, as many of us have.

As I just replied to the other thread, your biggest tool (of advantage) is scripting, and being able to act in a multi-threaded way / mindset.  If you can do that, and if you didn't rely fully on MSF (as aweSEC just noted), you SHOULD be fine.

Good luck, and keep with the 'TRY HARDER' attitude.  You'll get it.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I had the same question, after the practice lab with metasploit I said, ok, I got a little easy fun, now every single computer I hack it has to be done without metasploit at all.

Sometimes I want to use it when I cannot escalate, but keep going.... TRY HARDER.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

sternone

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Then I'm not too worried. I use scripting a lot for enumeration but for the actual buffer overflows I compiled or scripted all code to get root.

THANKS!!
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

shadowzero

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

impelse wrote:I had the same question, after the practice lab with metasploit I said, ok, I got a little easy fun, now every single computer I hack it has to be done without metasploit at all.

Sometimes I want to use it when I cannot escalate, but keep going.... TRY HARDER.

I did the same thing. Any machine that you pwn with metasploit, do it again without using it. Build up a collection of exploits that you know are reliable so you can quickly use them when you need to.
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 pm

shadowzero wrote:

I did the same thing. Any machine that you pwn with metasploit, do it again without using it. Build up a collection of exploits that you know are reliable so you can quickly use them when you need to.

I am not doing this, I need to do it, come on.....
CCNA Security

<<

sh4d0wmanPP

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Do as me, I have not started OSCP yet but am reading various books and spending time with Smashthestack.org

- Script any enumeration and other tasks that take time. Also script tasks for gathering information on systems you compromised, do it both for a Windows and Linux environment. I modified various public scripts into a customized one that does generate the right amount of data for me.

- Test your shellcode and make a reliable archive!!! I once spend a few hours trying to escalate privs just to find out the shellcode I used was broken...

- Learn various ways to escalate privs manual on Windows and Linux. They are very different and getting some hands on will give an advantage I think.

- Find a suitable way to keep track of information uncovered and for preparing your report. I am looking at the various notekeeping tools as right now I just use Notepad and well it is hmmm messy.
EXIN ISO/IEC 27002: ISF & ISMAS, ITIL Foundation, Comptia Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, Wip: OSWP
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:59 pm

I take a lot of screen shots and the commands I am using, I spent three week in two machines trying to escalate without any result, I moved on to other machines and I begin to root them.

Now I noticed that some exploit are broken and others really works, others the target was not the right but it looks nice and it would work, yep, I need to begin to archive.

Try harder, at work the make fun about that but they begin to use it when they cannot fix the problems, lol
CCNA Security

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional