New book

<<

jason

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:49 pm

New book

The new book is in the can! The Basics of Cyber Warfare should be releasing from Syngress sometime in November or early December.

This is a bit lighter and higher level look at Cyber Warfare (hence the basics bit) than the previous book was, and also includes updates for the major things that have changed in the world since then. Glad to have it done, now I can get a few things done on Don's honeydo list  :P
<<

rattis

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:53 am

Re: New book

Great, another book I have to buy and won't have time to read. :)

Congrats.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

jason

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 am

I'm familiar with the problem. I have a whole shelf of book that I need to get to eventually  ;D
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes, thanks for continuing to make the rest of us look bad ;)

Just curious, who is the primary audience for a cyberwar book (aside from those who enjoy drinking games that involve the word "cyber")? This seems like an interesting topic, but it keeps getting buried under other resources that seem more immediately practical.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

jason

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Largely business and/or military security folks, although anyone else with a general interest in the area might find it educational as well.
<<

sternone

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Congrats on your book. It's not an easy task, finishing it up so it's ready to be printed

Can i get a signed copy if I buy one from you?

Good luck with the sales.  :)
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

jason

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Absolutely, I'd be happy to.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:44 am

What is involved in writing a book ? I know it must take a lot hard work but did you approach them did they approach you ? Do you get paid for it? does the pay justify the amount time you have taken to write the book ?

Thanks
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:14 am

http://www.syngress.com/write-for-syngress/

I'd be curious to hear about Jason's personal experiences, but it seems that while the pay itself may not completely be worth the time in itself, the exposure creates additional opportunities for consulting, speaking, etc.

I remember writing a book being strongly recommended in this resource: http://www.amazon.com/Million-Dollar-Co ... 0071622101
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

jason

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 am

Writing a book is an interesting mix of experiences. I'd recommend trying it once for anyone that has an interest, but doing more than one requires a certain amount of crazy (this will be #5 if that tells you anything).

So the normal process (with Syngress anyway) is that you get a bright idea, and then fill out a proposal form (http://tinyurl.com/syngress-proposal) and send that in to the acquisitions editor. They take a look and, if they are interested, send the proposal through the approval process. This consists of a review by a few folks who are active in whatever the topic area is (they may or may not ask for revisions at this point) and a couple passes through internal review meetings where they decide whether the proposal is viable or not, i.e. will anyone buy it, are there 17 other books on the exact topic, etc.. This usually takes at least several weeks, but could be quite a bit more.

Once your proposal is approved, you get a contract. The contract will say how long the book should be (in number of words, for which there is a magic formula to figure this out), when exactly it needs to be done, what royalties will be paid, etc... all in nice legalese. If you are working with another author, the contract will also say who gets what % of royalties and who gets what advance on them. More authors = more slices of the pie. This can take another several weeks or more to get worked out.

Once all this is sorted out, you get to work writing. I generally jump the gun a bit and get going  as soon as I know that the proposal has been approved, but that's just the way I'm wired up. Usually, you will have a developmental editor (DE) assigned at this point, who will work with you to figure out a schedule to turn in chapters (something along the lines of the time between now and the due date, divided by the number of chapters), and who will also take the first editing pass at your content for spelling, grammar, etc... The DE is sort of like the PM for your book and will generally be someone working for . You will also have a technical editor (TE) who will be someone outside of Syngress and theoretically someone who knows the topic who will be looking at your work for technical accuracy. Lastly, you may have a copy editor who will do the final polishing of your work after all the editing is done.

Usually, the process goes something along the lines of: you finish a chapter and send it to your DE who marks up a few comments, they send it to the TE who marks up a few more comments, then send it back to the DE, the DE sends it back to you, you fix what needs to be fixed and send it back to the DE, the DE sends it to the copy editor, the copy editor sends it back to the DE, and then it's ready for production (whew). The writing process is usually somewhere around 6 months.

Once all of your chapters are done, your book goes off to be typeset and finalized. Somewhere in here will will get to see the cover of the book as well, but you usually have to ask for it. You will generally get a chance to look over the final proofs to make sure that nothing strange has crept in, then the book goes off for printing. This takes about three months (so we're creeping up on a year here altogether).

As you may have picked up, this is an enormous amount of work and takes huge amounts of time. If you can get multiple authors together to do a book, this obviously lessens the load, but it also lessens the monetary rewards. You should absolutely not expect to crank out one book and expect to see any significant amount of money back from it at all. If you have several out at a time, it does add up, but it is still fairly small, even when compared to flipping burgers.

On the other hand, you do get a certain amount of credit and recognition for writing a book. It's very cool to have a complete stranger come up to you and tell you how great your book was. You can also sink a huge amount of time into watching sales figures and sulking over shitty reviews that have no basis.

Whew. That's enough for now, but I'd be happy to answer any additional questions.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks that is a super answer and given me really good insight into what is involved. I think it something I will think about as have idea and not really doing it for the money side of things more to make name for myself. I guess that writing a book could also have the reverse effect on this too.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Pamelia75

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:45 am

I agree with you.

Return to Andress