CEH Online/Self-Study?

<<

venom77

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:53 am

CEH Online/Self-Study?

To all you CEH'ers,

My CEH class by New Horizons has been cancelled twice due to "low enrollment" (I think I was the only one signed up). Because of that, I've had to drop the follow-up ECSA class (which I think would also have been cancelled since I was told I was the only person signed up).

I've read different blogs here and there, posts on this forum, posts elsewhere, and a whole bunch of information across the net that I could find about ECC and the CEH certification with some being good, some being bad.

After reading all of that, I still think the CEH would be beneficial to have and will gain more popularity. ECC has only been around since the end of 2003 and I think that's a big reason for a lot of the negativity towards them.

I'm wondering if anyone here that has taken the CEH and passed, would say that self-study is a reasonable option? I've read the v5 courseware, an exam prep book, and taken notes throughout as well as setup a virtual lab and gotten to know some of the key tools inside out. For the exam, if I pretty much stick to the guidelines listed here will that be good? Can anyone recommend another training center? I think Don had said he went through The Training Camp and enjoyed it. I'm trying to keep the expense on this to a minimum as I'm paying for it myself. NH cost me just under $5K for CEH/ECSA.

Thanks in advance :)
- V
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:45 am

Re: CEH Online/Self-Study?

I replied to your other post regarding The Training Camp (TTC). As for self study, it is an option. It's cheaper but the course at TTC really focuses you on the exam topics. It will be cheaper than NH, but it's up to you.

For more info on self study, try Dan Hoffman's article:
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/54/24/

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:14 am

Thanks for the reply/links. I'll take a look at The Training Camp site and see what all they have to offer in comparison to NH. As for the exam itself, is it pretty much in sync with what ECC has listed on the course outline at ECC.org/312-50.htm?

Thanks
<<

rev3_13

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:10 pm

Also if your still looking at self study you should check out the material from Quick cert or specialized solutions. They are the same company just Quick cert is there vendor. They are the only company who's material is approved for the CEH and to test for it.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker