Spelling and Punctuation

<<

tturner

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:26 am

Spelling and Punctuation

Seriously, use spell check. I get really frustrated trying to read what would be otherwise useful content. If you are going to take the time to write useful material for folks, use your fucking spell check and grammar check. Don't switch from passive to active voice. Don't switch from 1st to 3rd person. Don't switch from past to present tense. If you don't know how to write properly, pickup a copy of Strunk and White. http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Styl ... 020530902X Otherwise you are going in my "moron" bin.

That being said, I'm sure I will have a typo somewhere in this post. :)
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

Eleven

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 am

Re: Spelling and Punctuation

dayum.  tis book looks lik itz gunna halp me alot.  u da man.
Last edited by Eleven on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 am

It definitely DO <grin> get on my nerves when peoples <more grin> switch verb tenses or first / third person mid-stream, and definately <evil grin> have spelling issues.  Some of the spelling annoyances I've seen, lately (not necessarily on EH, but...), are "definately" (should be "definitely") and "indavidual" ("individual")

For foreigners, I understand, to a point, but to kids who are in college, or folks who have been around a while and claim to be good - part of being good is at least a realistic understanding of the English language.

(Sorry to join tturner's rant, but I'm kind of anal on the language thing, myself.  I understand mistypes, etc, but when I make one, USUALLY you'll see a very prompt edit on my post to fix it...)  I don't claim to be an English professor or anything, and mistakes are just that, mistakes.  But at least TRY to get it right.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 am

+1,000,000

There is a nice red line under misspelled words and better yet, a right click will give you suggestions. Welcome to 1998.
<<

sternone

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks for that book tip, I have ordered it.

English is my 4th language.

I speak and write Dutch, French, German, English and a little Italian. Sorry that my wording seems confusing.
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Personally, wasn't directing my responses at anyone, in particular.  Just my observations, and in agreement with tturner's thoughts.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 pm

sternone wrote:English is my 4th language.

I speak and write Dutch, French, German, English and a little Italian. Sorry that my wording seems confusing.

It's usually quite obvious when English isn't someone's native language, and only a snob will begrudge someone for that. The sentiments above are not directed at you or other non-native English speakers.

I think the point that was trying to be made is that this is a professional forum, and you're hurting yourself if your post resembles a YouTube comment ;)
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

tturner

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 pm

The person who prompted that post has been engaged in a flurry of activity lately. No commitment to quality whatsoever but apparently thinks spamming is the key to success here, or maybe he just wants some OffSec training. It sounds like he might have some decent things to say but he's coming across like an idiot because he isn't proofreading his posts, or at least appears not to be. I won't name him, but he has not posted in this thread yet. I'm sure most of you will be able to figure out who I'm talking about but he is not the only one and I don't want to single him out.

This is an issue prevalent with many of our members and it's disturbing to me because this career path is much more than a technical discipline. If you practice writing without attention to detail, that failure to properly communicate will manifest itself in anything you write. Written communication is the lasting and ultimate deliverable that is the manifestation of our work output. I personally think it's difficult to classify any hacking as ethical (other than hedonism, ethics can be somewhat relative but that's a topic for another post) when the ultimate goal is not to communicate findings to a customer or impacted stakeholder.

I will also admit, had I not been so inebriated last night my filter would have engaged but I'm glad it didn't. It needed to be said, and the several PM's I've received in the last 24 hours indicate that others feel the same. For the non-native English speakers, I applaud you for taking the time to learn a second (or third or fourth) language. I am not so cultured. This post is not directed at you. It's directed at anyone who makes a conscious decision to be lazy in their writing. As my grandfather used to say: "Anything worth doing is worth doing well."
Last edited by tturner on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 am

+1

It needed to be said......
OSCP in progress
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 am

Ok I kinder fill like this post is aimed at me as I have been posting a lot. I do try and post useful material for everyone on here and sometimes my post may not be that well written. I should let everyone know that I do suffer from dyslexia and have for many years and it is something I am working hard on to improve.

So if this is aimed at me I sorry you guys find my post hard to read or badly written I will try make them more readable in the future. And if anyone has any tips or recommendation on how I can imrpove I am more than happy to listen.
Last edited by Jamie.R on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

sternone

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 am

DELIVERY ESTIMATE: MONDAY AUGUST 27

:-)
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

Eleven

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:29 pm

How about some recommendations on websites or books that cover technical writing that we're likely to do when writing forensic or pen testing reports?
<<

unicityd

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 pm

I have no idea who this thread was originally aimed at, but here's my take on spelling and grammar in the forums:

It would be nice if everyone used spell check, but I don't mind an occasional misspelled word.  We all let one slip through from time to time.  Posting in an Internet forum isn't the same as writing a professional report or article.  Your writing should be clear and reasonably clean if you want to establish a good reputation for yourself, but it doesn't need need the same editing and polish as something you plan to publish.

As others have expressed, the problem is not people for whom English is a second language.  The problem is that some people just don't seem to care how they write.  These people post messages that are badly misspelled, difficult to understand, lack punctuation or grammar, and/or have no clarity of thought.  Don't post things like:

"hai guyz im try to lern bout haking and wuld lik if some1 wud shar sum tips k thnx by"

Punctuate your sentences.  Capitalize properly.  Use spell check.  Do not use "IM speak" or text messaging shorthand (e.g. "thx" or "l8r"). 

If English is the language you use professionally, get a copy of Strunk & White.  It's helpful.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

Yet

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm

This is really a good topic .

Return to Other