My OSCP journey...

<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: My OSCP journey...

sternone wrote:You can't use Metasploit on the exam.

Just to clarify, from what I've seen online you can use Metasploit during the exam for things such as scanning ports & creating payloads, and at least in one case, exploit. I'm not clear if the single Metasploit use is a) because you're only allowed one or b) there's only one box you can use Metasploit against.

Have you heard something different sternone?
<<

shadowzero

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I suggest learning to hack without metasploit. You're allowed to use it in the labs, so when you pwn something with metasploit, figure out how to do it without metasploit. You can even look at the exploit module itself in metasploit to see how it's doing it, and maybe you can adapt it to a single script.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm

You can only use Metasploit once for exploitation, but it's explicitly disallowed on some systems (this will all be detailed in your exam guide). Simply generating shellcode with msfpayload / msfvenom does not count as performing exploitation with the framework, and I'm sure using the aux modules for scanning or whatever doesn't count either.

Metasploit's a great tool, and everyone should know how to use it, but it's an extremely small part of the exam, at most. You should spend the majority of your lab time using and adapting stand-alone exploits. You can always go back and re-exploit a vulnerability using the framework if you're curious about the differences it.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

sternone

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Re: My OSCP journey...In what order do I need to read my books ?

Question:

I'm finally getting some books tomorrow, which one should I read first ? Thanks for the advise!!

Tomorrow Friday I get :
1. The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws
Dafydd Stuttard, Marcus Pinto
2. Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
David Kennedy, et al
3. Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
Chris Sanders
4. Assembly Language Step-by-Step: Programming with Linux
Jeff Duntemann

On Monday I get:
5. The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
6. Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
7. Professional Assembly Language (Programmer to Programmer)
Richard Blum

THANKS !!!

PS: I'm probably finishing up the pdf of OSCP in a few days.
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I'd focus on your lab time while you have it. If need to take a break from that, I guess the Nmap book would be the most general and useful at the moment for you.

Regardless of when you do them in relation to the others, I'd do 4 > 7 > 5 when you want to move more into assembly and exploit development.
<<

sh4d0wmanPP

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am

For OSCP I would adopt the following order:
6: Look for the parts you don;t know or can save you time/automation/scripting or parsing
2: but only sections on payload creation, shellcode, meterpreter
4: read assembly ouput near fluent
5: focus on stack overflows both in Linux and Windows. Learn the specific tools on both OS'es

Save 3, 1 and 7 for after OSCP as I think it might go to deep and you will not be able to master this in depth in time for the exam.

I am actually doing something similar but before I sign up as to save my lab time. Good luck!

@ Cyberspirit: this is how I tend to study. I try to be able to do most attacks without using any tools. Purely by scripting, abusing the shell and making use of available cmd's/tools native to the OS or API's. If this gets me stuck I use an automated tool and see if it can complete the attack. If it does I tear apart their logic until I can do it by hand myself. This cost a tremendous amount of time but allows me to perform even when tools are blocked.
Last edited by sh4d0wmanPP on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXIN ISO/IEC 27002: ISF & ISMAS, ITIL Foundation, Comptia Security+, CCNA, CCNA Security, Wip: OSWP
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:48 am

shadowzero wrote:I suggest learning to hack without metasploit. You're allowed to use it in the labs, so when you pwn something with metasploit, figure out how to do it without metasploit. You can even look at the exploit module itself in metasploit to see how it's doing it, and maybe you can adapt it to a single script.

Yeah its better to make ur hand dirty with writing exploits a exploitation technics but avoid msf is not a good idea u can do it before msf if u dont get the answer then use msf
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

UNIX

Post Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:21 pm

aweSEC wrote:Maybe this one helps to get a better understanding of the basic exploit development process: http://strategicsec.com/2012/08/16/expl ... e-mortals/

The materials from Open Security Training might also help to better understand some of the exploit development basics.
<<

sternone

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am

DAY 15

Did some extra studying in the 6 books I received from Amazon today.

It's clear that to succeed in the exam I will need much more knowledge than the videos and the pdf file. I took a step back and start reading. Couldn't resist today and rooted another box!

I have 2 now. Whohoo :-)  ;D
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

sternone

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Just got another one. Ok, I have the 3 most easy servers of the 50.

:-( That leaves me with 47 hard ones  ;D
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

azmatt

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Keep up the good work bud. I'm planning on trying this at some point in 2013 so these threads are invaluable.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

Elw00d

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Great read to OP.  I'm on day 25 and wish I was alot further ahead then where I am.  I've gotten into 3 machines in the last 2 days with many more to go.

Great course so far, just hope I have enough lab time left to get through everything.  (bought the 90day package).
<<

sternone

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm

I stopped working in the lab and I'm reading for the next weeks now.

I hate doing stuff without knowing exactly what I'm doing :-)
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 pm

sternone wrote:I hate doing stuff without knowing exactly what I'm doing :-)

I understand what you're saying, to an extent. It's important to learn the fundamentals, so you're not just flailing about, but you're never going to be in a pen test where everything's routine and transparent. You're going to find custom applications, security controls you haven't encountered before, admins paying attention to the network for the first time in a year and changing things as you're trying to work, etc. Being able to adapt and think critically are enormous pieces of the puzzle, maybe even more so than preexisting knowledge. You can't acquire those skills by reading.

Taking weeks off of a limited amount of lab time seems like a waste to me. Just dive in and experiment, even if you're only working on the 5-10 pages of the lab guide you read that day. That's what the environment is there for; you can easily revert a mistake.
Last edited by dynamik on Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

shadowzero

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm

ajohnson wrote:Taking weeks off of a limited amount of lab time seems like a waste to me. Just dive in and experiment, even if you're only working on the 5-10 pages of the lab guide you read that day. That's what the environment is there for; you can easily revert a mistake.

+1 to this. Experiment, make mistakes, learn from your mistakes. The more mistakes you learn from in the lab, the less you're likely to make in the real world and the exam.
PreviousNext

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional