Your Other Reading List!

<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am

Your Other Reading List!

We talk a lot about the technical books we read and recommend but not a lot about the down time books.

I recently finished Zero Day by Mark Russinovich (http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Day-Novel-Ma ... s=zero+day) and it’s not a bad read. Has a great mix of the technical side of hunting down malware and a story line that keeps you involved. Mark has followed this up with another novel called Trojan Horse ( I plan to get round to that soon!!).

I tried to read a novel called Divide by Zero but it was just too slow! Most of the story is about the main character and his love of motor bikes….

So what is it that you read (other then tech books that is!)?
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 am

Re: Your Other Reading List!

I am not a big fan of reading so the only books I read are security related books.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 am

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of reading but needed to find something to stimulate the imagination so found a few books that were a little bit like tech books with a touch of fiction....
<<

tturner

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:31 am

Currently reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon and it is dated (released 1999) but it is really good! http://www.amazon.com/Cryptonomicon-Nea ... 0380973464

Next up is Railsea by China Mieville http://www.amazon.com/Railsea-China-Mie ... 0345524527

Then I'll probably re-read Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Claw-First ... 0312890176 Gene is probably the most underrated but amazing sci fi/fantasy author of our time. Seriously check out anything he has written.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am

A good book I read once for my uni course was about law and professional responsibiles and it gave you case studies It was pretty intresting.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am

Jamie.R wrote:A good book I read once for my uni course was about law and professional responsibiles and it gave you case studies It was pretty intresting.

link?
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 am

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:29 am

Cheers, thought it might have been. I had the same reading list by the looks of it.

A surprisingly interesting read given the subject matter.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am

Yes it was really good read and aruging the points was fun too.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:54 pm

S3curityM0nkey wrote:Yeah I'm not a huge fan of reading but needed to find something to stimulate the imagination so found a few books that were a little bit like tech books with a touch of fiction....

You'd probably like the Stealing the Network series: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... he+network

The complete set on Kindle is a steal at $19.

I'm currently going through Game of Thrones. I've heard a lot of good things about the TV show, but I want to go through the books first.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:32 pm

ajohnson wrote:You'd probably like the Stealing the Network series: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... he+network

The complete set on Kindle is a steal at $19.

I'm currently going through Game of Thrones. I've heard a lot of good things about the TV show, but I want to go through the books first.

I keep seeing the Stealing the Network books... might have to give them a go next!

Game of Thrones is a great TV show, but for someone who isn't big on reading fiction those books are just waaaaaaay to thick!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 pm

S3curityM0nkey wrote:Game of Thrones is a great TV show, but for someone who isn't big on reading fiction those books are just waaaaaaay to thick!

I picked up the Kindle edition, so I was completely unaware of what I was getting myself into. It is rather depressing to see that status bar update so rarely.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 am

on that note how many people use kindle for technical books how do you find them ?

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am

Jamie.R wrote:on that note how many people use kindle for technical books how do you find them ?

I'll be honest, the Kindle format is pretty bad for most technical books. It's fine for anything that's pure text, but if you have a book with charts, tables, graphs, screenshots, etc., it really doesn't look as good as the book or PDF.

It seems that the publisher plays a pretty big role in how well the book transitions to the Kindle. There are some that are completely broken, like someone just copied-and-pasted from a PDF. There was one book where all the page footers were put into an appendix in the back of the book. Everytime the book referenced additional information in the footer, you had to dig through that appendix. I think I was going through The Shellcoders Handbook, and there was a page of shellcode where a few bytes were supposed to be in bold. Well, they weren't.

Others have clearly spent some time adjusting the book to work well in the Kindle format, and those are just fine. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to tell what you're going to get before you actually look at it. The best-case is when a publisher (i.e. http://nostarch.com/malware) provides a package that contains a PDF along with the eBook formats. I'll load that up on my iPad and never look back.

However, the coolest thing is the syncing between devices. In addition to the Kindle itself, I have the Kindle app on my iPhone, iPad, multiple PCs, and the cloud reader for any PC that doesn't have the app installed. I can read a few pages while waiting in line someone on my iphone, and the next time I go to read that book anywhere else, I'll be prompted to skip ahead to my furthest location. Ironically, I rarely use my actual Kindle for Kindle books anyway.

I also travel frequently, so I love not having to carry heavy books around. I have 92 Kindle books, and I'd guess about 70% of those are IT/security-related. It's awesome to have your entire library in your pocket.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 am

Jamie.R wrote:on that note how many people use kindle for technical books how do you find them ?

I love my Kindle, for all the reasons above; but I'd never use it for technical books, in my experience the smaller screen just doesn't work regardless of how well publishers adapt the material for kindle format.

For technical formats I'll either stick with dead tree versions, or pdf version on tablet.
Next

Return to Other