Your Other Reading List!

<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Re: Your Other Reading List!

Yah that what I am thinking of doing getting tablet and pdf as carry books around a right pain in the behind.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

unicityd

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:04 pm

I don't mind squinting at the occasional image, but  I avoid using it for any technical book that has a lot of code or graphics.  A few charts here and there is fine, but an actual programming book?  No.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:17 am

It looks great for reading book but was never sure about technical books on it I think I stick with tablet pdf as it might be the better for security.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:34 pm

It's true the kindle isn't good for tech books... but if you have a tab that you want to use then just download the kindle app.... works great. I have it on my mobile, my galaxy.... all over the place... when I am at work if I need to look something up I user the cloud reader....
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 am

Cool not sure what tablet to get my GF gve me an archos 101  internet tablet but its bit big to carry on the train

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 am

i think the art of exploition is greate too.
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1593271441/ref=redir_mdp_mobile
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:51 am

I think this topic got a little lost, so I'll try to bring it back to its original intent. I was in a used book store with my son and found a great little book that while not a hacking book still touched the techie side of my brain while intertwining intrigue, history, fraud, patents, law... what else could you want!

The Telephone Gambit: Chasing Alexander Graham Bell's Secret by Seth Shulman
http://www.amazon.com/The-Telephone-Gam ... 0393062066

While researching Alexander Graham Bell at MIT’s Dibner Institute, Seth Shulman scrutinized Bell’s journals and within them he found the smoking gun, a hint of deeply buried historical intrigue. Delving further, Shulman unearthed the surprising story behind the invention of the telephone: a tale of romance, corruption, and unchecked ambition. Bell furtively—and illegally—copied part of Elisha Gray’s invention in the race to secure what would become the most valuable U.S. patent ever issued. And afterward, as Bell’s device led to the world’s largest monopoly, the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, he hid his invention’s illicit beginnings. In The Telephone Gambit, Shulman challenges the reputation of an icon of invention, rocks the foundation of a corporate behemoth, and offers a probing meditation on how little we know about our own history.

Inside the book, the author also mentions "The Telephone Patent Conspiracy of 1876: The Elisha Gray-Alexander Bell Controversy and Its Many Players" by A. Edward Evenson which is an older book, looks to be more of a 'just the facts" work but is also much more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Telephone-Patent- ... CY+OF+1876

Either book you choose, the story being presented is fascinating. Great read to keep your mind going even when not hacking!

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 am

I'll add a few to the list, they're all a bit dated as I read most before I started Uni, but if you want to keep your mind active on tech subjects or broaden your professional horizon they're still good reads.

Where Wizards Stay Up Late: Origins of the Internet
Covers the development of the systems and protocols that would eventually become the Internet of today. If you don't know your Licklider's from your Postel's it's well worth adding to your library.

The Hacker ethic
Not necessarily the hackers of computer security, but covers those that think outside the box and work beyond the norm to do the unusual and 'supposedly' impossible.

Hackers and Painters
Covers the computerisation of everyday activities and the impact on our work an personal lives.
Previous

Return to Other