Tutorials

<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 am

Tutorials

Hi All,

I am big fan of sharing skills and tutorials. I would not say I have the best hackers skills but noon the less I am looking to produce some tutorials that I hope will help other.

So my question is should there be a page where people can surgest tutorials ? What tutorials would you like to see?
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 am

Re: Tutorials

I think a video on your thought process during a pentest would definitely help new people.

What methodology do you use?
How do you think outside the box when you can't find a way in? etc..

The thought process is something that has always interested me. Having the tools and security knowledge is great but having the creativity and imagination to try different attacks when you're stuck, is what set's hackers apart.  <--- Just my opinion
OSCP in progress
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 am

Yah that a good idea not sure how could approach it tho without making the video really long and dull going thought the whole process of thinking what to try.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

tturner

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 am

Videos on logic and deductive reasoning would be very useful. This is really what it comes down to, but it's hard to make people think outside the box. We naturally operate under a set of constraints, many times self-imposed and getting people to understand new ways of thinking is huge.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Yes getting people to think outside the box is really hard I think the only way that can be done is by having live images that people can poke around with stuff like the de-ice disk it would be really good if there were more de-ice created by the security community.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Jamie.R wrote:...it would be really good if there were more de-ice created by the security community.

There's already a lot more in addition to those: http://g0tmi1k.blogspot.com/2011/03/vul ... esign.html
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Yah ajohnson there are lots great resources on their but all the de-ice seem to be based on the same sort scenario

namp scan
exploit
information gather
exploit

It be nice if there were more of a mixture and ones that were a lot harder

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

tturner

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

No, I'm not referring to hacking specific examples. I just mean learning how to think and then applying those skills to breaking things. You have to walk before you can run. But then again, it won't be as popular because there's no shell at the end.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

Triban

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

YuckTheFankees wrote:I think a video on your thought process during a pentest would definitely help new people.

What methodology do you use?
How do you think outside the box when you can't find a way in? etc..

The thought process is something that has always interested me. Having the tools and security knowledge is great but having the creativity and imagination to try different attacks when you're stuck, is what set's hackers apart.  <--- Just my opinion

Perfect!  Have the camera on you, sitting there with a look of determination on your face...  tapping your finger... pounding some redbull... then after about 10 mins, slap the table and yell "That's the ticket!" and.... Scene! :D

300K Youtube hits easy! :D 

On the other hand you could go over a scenario, do some slides with diagrams on what is going on, show the areas of interest and explain which possible ways you can go to exploit item.  One of the biggest things I've learned in InfoSec is making myself think like the attacker.  For someone who spent lots of time simply setting up systems and hardening them just because it was what I was taught to do, I felt a new joy switching my thinking to "now what would the bad guy do if he came across this box?"   
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 am

yeah its a great idea. It wil be awsome if u create some videos about:
How to find vulnerabilities
Exploitation
Sql injection
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

ZeroOne

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 am

3xban wrote:Perfect!  Have the camera on you, sitting there with a look of determination on your face...  tapping your finger... pounding some redbull... then after about 10 mins, slap the table and yell "That's the ticket!" and.... Scene! :D

LOOL ;D
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 am

lol I dont think many people want see my face they more intrested in what they can learn lol

I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Tutorials