Yesterday's black hats or today's white hates

<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 am

Yesterday's black hats or today's white hates

Hello guys,
Firstly i wanted to tell you a history about myself.

I started hacking when i had 16 years old and actually i had no idea about hack. i could write some viruses with Visual basic or create some trojans with majic ps or sub7 and infect computers and hack people or bomber their email so i was balck hat in that time.

Then when i became older i realized its better to use my skills in true way to help beginners to avoid hackers and i sarted studying Ethical hacking seriously and now im a white hat hacker. so i created some articles about security to aware people and i created a website too.

So i want to put my idea in vote know is there other hackers who was black hat but he decided to become white hat ? please tell me some history about yourself if you can

thanks alot
CyberSpirit
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

ZeroOne

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 am

Re: Yesterday's black hats or today's white hates

sub7 huh? lol that takes me back, the path you took is better than a lot did (from white to black), Its also good that you're sharing the knowledge. I respect that. hmmm i'm not sure whether or not to say anything about history, but I'll just mention couple of silly stuff I did, actually this is a good thread this reminds me on how I decided to become a security pro, it started when I didn't like some modules they taught at school, so hacked the teacher's computer then copied the exam papers. after that I started to do some basic security stuff for my friends. took it more serious then studied more about it, then became more of a white hat.
Last edited by ZeroOne on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 am

thanks zero one for your opinion but poor teacher i feel pity for him/her lool
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:21 pm

any other ideas? Pls let me know
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:58 pm

hmm well would not really say I was black Hat but I kinder into hacking at school I got fed teachers telling me what I could do. I was only like 15 at the time but wanted to be able to do interesting stuff on the school network. I managed to get admin password by looking over teachers shoulder and also found a bug in excel using macros that allowed you to install games and other stuff. I would not glass this really as black hat as I was too young to know any better and its not like i was writing virus or owning banks.

Now I am older I just love sharing skills and knowledge with others and love watching others own stuff think its really cool just want learn as much as I can and help as many people as I can too.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

rance

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:02 pm

back when i was a young, dumb teenager with no morals, i did some not-so-savory things. the movie war games prompted me to write my first tool, a war dialer (with a 300 baud modem on a C64), that tool eventually morphed in to something much more sinister. When one of my best friends at the time got busted in Op. Sundevil, I went dark for about a decade (figured my name was on several government lists, may still be to this day), then came back all white hatted up with ethics and morals.
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm

wow jamieR and rance great info thanx up to here i found out that all of experienced some how of hacking when we was teens and we did something like black hats great thanx im waiting for other great ideas please
<<

Triban

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:25 pm

bunch of nerds, I was going after girls at 15 :-p  I keed I keed, but seriously, I was all up in the p....

Actually I wasn't really into computers much when I was younger.  I really didn't get into them until college.  I found I had a latent knack for fixing them.  Took a job on campus as an installer for the Info Systems repair depart.  Basically "I pick things up and put them down."  Until I came across my first actual problem then needed fixed.  It was a "simple" job to install a new desktop in one of the dorm offices.  Connected everything up but no network access.  After a couple hours of troubleshooting (bare in mind I knew nothing about the basics of networking), we realized it was nothing I could fix.  Finally got TelCo involved and we found it was a bum connection down in the data closet.  Based on my troubleshooting steps I used the boss was impressed and moved me to full fledged repair tech.  During this time I was messing around a lot with our VMS/VAX system, using Lynx and trying out different things, nothing really hackable, but it was fun to learn it.  Eventually I became pretty good and got promoted over to the Info Systems dept to work with the Sys Admin.  Got my first taste of major systems work - NT networks, Exchange migration, building a back end program to the computer lab network ID creator and an app to verify users when they call the faculty helpdesk.  It was all very cool.

After working as a sys admin for a couple years, I moved into consulting and then finally made the leap to move into InfoSec.  The only major difference is that I now focus on security centric solutions.  Right now I am interested in malware analysis.  I love seeing how it ticks and the techniques used to try and hide it from detection.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39 pm

so u didnt do anything unethical like us 3xban good for u atleast u dont feel guilty lol and thanx for ur comment and for malware analysis u must be a good programmer
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 am

I do think more and more youngeters today are involved in black hat stuff. I dont know if this is down to lack ifnormation on what is bad and what is good or if they think they so young the law wont do anything to them.

I also think so many youngeters want to get into security and find it hard they get frustrated and end up getting involved in anoymouse or trying hack companies website to show off their skills when this has the revers affect for an employee.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Triban

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 pm

cyber.spirit wrote:so u didnt do anything unethical like us 3xban good for u atleast u dont feel guilty lol and thanx for ur comment and for malware analysis u must be a good programmer

Nah I suck at coding, I can understand it, just can't code well.  But I really want to get good at reverse engineering malware.  Assembly is the language I will need to work with more to do that.  I'm not bad at building solutions for infrastructure though.  As for not doing anything bad, well I did a lot of skateboarding when I was younger and probably broke other laws, but stopped most of that when I turned 16 (legal age you can be charged as an adult and it goes on your permanent record).    Plus I wasn't into computers when I was younger, or else I may have "experimented" a bit more :D
(@)Dewser
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:06 am

3xban and jamie.R thank u for ur answers when i realized all of us did something ilegal it decreases my guilty feeling!! And u 3xban u must be great with assembly what if u follow assembly language primer for hackers? I mean the famous vivek's video
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 am

Yah securitytube vids are really good. I stared going thought them but didnt get round to finishing them as other things took over. I really need to go back and go thought them again tbh

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Jamie.R wrote:Yah securitytube vids are really good. I stared going thought them but didnt get round to finishing them as other things took over. I really need to go back and go thought them again tbh

yes they are great even sometimes i cant understand vivek's English pronunciation you must watch vids one by one
assembly for hackers
asm windows
buffer overflow
format string
they are all great 
<<

Triban

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am

Its on the list.  Probably going to finish out the PMA book and work some labs then circle back to check out the primers, guess they kick off with the linux primer and move to Windows.  the more and more I work with it, the more I get it.  A couple months ago I was able to take a 3 day course on HBGary Responder Pro.  We spent an entire day on Assembly.  Talk about drinking from the firehose.  Cramming in a week's long worth of material in like 3 days feels like a marathon.  The product (from an IR perspective) is great but not that great considering it costs something like $10K, with Cuckoo, it is hard to justify spending that kind of cash for IR level analysis.  If you need a good Dissassembler, then you can spend under a $1K for IDA Pro (free if you are just messing around).
(@)Dewser

Return to Other