Is python needed? Bash enough?

<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:13 am

Re: Is python needed? Bash enough?

What the best resource for python ? I am looking for really good resouce to learn python I would perfer video that I can download but if anyone can recommened a book
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

shadowzero

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 am

Jamie.R wrote:What the best resource for python ? I am looking for really good resouce to learn python I would perfer video that I can download but if anyone can recommened a book

If you're familiar with other programming languages it's easy enough to learn. I think I got a copy of O'Reilly's Learning Python when I first started out, read the first few chapters, and just used the rest for reference. If I remember correctly it was a pretty decent book.

If you're looking for videos, Google's Code University has some lectures: http://code.google.com/edu/languages/go ... index.html
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks does anyone know a good script to grab youtube vids so i can put them on laptop?

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

m0wgli

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 am

Jamie.R wrote:What the best resource for python ? I am looking for really good resouce to learn python I would perfer video that I can download but if anyone can recommened a book

Haven't you started SecurityTube's Python Scripting Expert? Your post has concerned me a little as I want to learn Python and was considering this course.

SecurityTube's site says "Module 1 of the course is meant for students who have very little or no programming experience before. We go really slowly on the basics of the language so you can pick up the essential programming skills before venturing to the more difficult modules".

Is this a fair assessment in your opinion or would I be better off learning some Python from some of the recommendations in this thread before starting it?
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:15 am

I have started that course and its good course. However it does not cover all aspect of python and just want build my skills up the best I can to have really good understadning of python.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 am

m0wgli wrote:Is this a fair assessment in your opinion or would I be better off learning some Python from some of the recommendations in this thread before starting it?

I haven't completed it yet, but the Security Tube course has been pretty solid so far.

If you're just getting started, you might want to run through these resources quickly first:
http://code.google.com/edu/languages/go ... hon-class/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

However, if you can follow along with everything in the videos, I don't really see a need to break away from them and go through another resource.

www.udacity.com has a lot of Python-based programming courses that help you apply your knowledge in some interesting scenarios.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:26 am

Yah to be fair I suck big time at coding I dont get why as much as I understand all the concepts when it comes to writing code i just get brain freeze and go now where that y I trying get many resource as I can so I jsut read and read and watch and I hope it help me code

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

m0wgli

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for the responses.

ajohnson wrote:However, if you can follow along with everything in the videos, I don't really see a need to break away from them and go through another resource.

In that case then I'll probably just go straight for the SPSE and break out into those resources if required.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Yah my plan is to do paython then OSCP unless I win it from here then that may change hint hint wink wink lol

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

jjwinter

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Jamie.R wrote:I have started that course and its good course. However it does not cover all aspect of python and just want build my skills up the best I can to have really good understadning of python.

I've started the MIT series on Python as well. I took Pascal about 25 years ago, and knew some BASIC before that.... so starting from scratch is kinda necessary for me. Thanks for the excellent link.
<<

Yet

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Wow thanks for sharing of this link i guess i would have to stick to that site to learn .

ajohnson wrote:
m0wgli wrote:Is this a fair assessment in your opinion or would I be better off learning some Python from some of the recommendations in this thread before starting it?

I haven't completed it yet, but the Security Tube course has been pretty solid so far.

If you're just getting started, you might want to run through these resources quickly first:
http://code.google.com/edu/languages/go ... hon-class/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

However, if you can follow along with everything in the videos, I don't really see a need to break away from them and go through another resource.

www.udacity.com has a lot of Python-based programming courses that help you apply your knowledge in some interesting scenarios.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:15 am

Yeah thanks for the links lots good resources about to learn python.

I'm an InterN0T'er
Previous

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional