OSCP - Two weeks in.

<<

Catalyst256

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 am

OSCP - Two weeks in.

Hi guys, I started my OSCP journey a couple of weeks ago. I'm really enjoying it and still working out the best way to approach it. I've watched some of the videos and read a lot of the PDF but spent more time working on the lab machines.

I've managed to "pop" a few of the student lab boxes but struggle with privilege escalation and re-compiling the exploits.

Nothing worth getting stressed about, it all's part of the learning curve and I'm having an awesome time..  ;D
@catalyst256

Security+ OSCP VCP CCA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

Re: OSCP - Two weeks in.

It sounds like you doing fine there are a few good blogs on privilege escalation.

Might want look at
g0tmi1k blog
pentestermonkey
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Catalyst256

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:36 am

Cool thanks I will check them out..
@catalyst256

Security+ OSCP VCP CCA
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm

You'll often need to look at the exploit and try to figure out what it's specifically trying to do. You may find your kernel version falls within the range of a lot of public exploits, but there may be other conditions or subtleties that need to be analyzed in order to determine if a given exploit will compile and execute successfully.

Be sure to review other privilege services and pillage the system to the extent you're able to as well.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Catalyst256

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 am

Rather than posting on here all the time (yes I know its a forum and that's the point), I've been updating my blog on my progress.

Check it out if you are interested:

http://itgeekchronicles.co.uk
@catalyst256

Security+ OSCP VCP CCA
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 am

Looks good, and I'm sure others will benefit from reading your experiences.  Thanks for the share.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

tturner

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 am

Catalyst256 wrote:Rather than posting on here all the time (yes I know its a forum and that's the point), I've been updating my blog on my progress.

I checked out your blog and found your Scapy guide. I haven't read the whole thing yet but so far I like! Great resource for folks trying to learn Scapy.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

Catalyst256

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 am

Glad you like it (so far) tturner. There will be more content added after my OSCP course is done and a special B-Sides London 2013 edition is in the works as well.
@catalyst256

Security+ OSCP VCP CCA
<<

superkojiman

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 am

Catalyst256 wrote:Rather than posting on here all the time (yes I know its a forum and that's the point), I've been updating my blog on my progress.

Looks good. I like reading about others' experiences in the course. You're correct about time flying by really quickly. I also took 90 days and finished with two weeks to spare for finishing up the report.

Good luck!
OSCP + OSCE
<<

m0wgli

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 pm

I've been following your blog for a while, and have been enjoying your OSCP updates. I've also read your Scapy guide and found it really useful, looking forward to the special B-Sides London 2013 edition.

Good luck!

@catalyst256 & @superkojiman: I'd be interested to hear a guestimate as to how many hours you invested over the 90 day's (@catalyst256 I appreciate you still have 30 to go) and a rough idea of how this broke down.

@superkojiman: I took a look at your blog too, you should update your profile to include it. Some good posts on there!
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Awesome blog dude! Love your work.

Keep it up and good luck with the exam!
<<

superkojiman

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 pm

m0wgli wrote:@superkojiman: I took a look at your blog too, you should update your profile to include it. Some good posts on there!

Regarding the number of hours I spent over the 90 day period, I would say about 8 hours on weekdays, and more on weekends. I work full time so I couldn't devote as much time as I wanted to the course. I took notes as I went through, and finished everything with two weeks to spare. Spent that time finalizing the report and going back to take screenshots or any other info that I may have missed. Overall, I still managed to have a bit of a life while taking the course.
OSCP + OSCE
<<

Catalyst256

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:02 am

Hey m0wgli,

I spend on average between 2-4 hours a day in the labs during the week and probably about 6-7 at the weekend. I will probably be pulling a few late nights during the last few weeks.

I have taken a few days off work and spent 12 hours each day in the lab which helped.

I tend to do research and mess around with VM's at work (just don't tell my boss). It's not as much time as I would like but that's life.
@catalyst256

Security+ OSCP VCP CCA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:07 am

Cool sounds like you are having a lot of fun. This course is on my list to do so any tips or feedback from you would be nice.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

m0wgli

Post Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:32 am

@catalyst256 & @superkojiman: Thanks for the replies.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional