Finally took the plunge, started 08/05/12

<<

DragonGorge

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Finally took the plunge, started 08/05/12

cd1zz wrote:I also think the reason you don't find many negative reviews is that most people review the course when they are done and have passed the exam challenge. Usually they're riding a big time high and they've already forgot about all the minutia that drove them crazy during the journey.

"Many"? I have yet to find one! :)

But I totally agree with the idea that the overwhelmingly positive reviews are attributable to the exam "high". That is why I started a journal similar to sternone's. I want to remember these issues if/when I write a review because they need to be stated. Hopefully Offsec will take steps to improve the quality of their manual.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement. Regardless if I pass or not, I have learned a ton through the course (and on my own).

azmatt wrote:Giving incorrect information causing some people to lose an entire day is far from cool. Even a very vague errata would be a nice place to check for future students.

Most are quality control issues:
You can control the Apache server by using either the apachectl2 start / stop
It's actually "apache2ctl"

And here's a code example:
print “Fuzzing ” + command + " with length:" +str(len(string))
And on the next page, its output:
Fuzzing MKD:1
Fuzzing MKD:20

Doesn't take a programming guru to see one doesn't match the other. Again, very benign examples which hardly caused a hiccup.
<<

sternone

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Metasploit IS the limitation
Try harder....hmpf!!
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:06 am

satish.lx wrote:is it possible to root all box in OSCP Lab without metasploit?

Yes. Metasploit does nothing you can't do on your own.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:43 am

DragonGorge its good idea keeping diary i look forward to your write up
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

DragonGorge

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am

Jamie.R wrote:DragonGorge its good idea keeping diary i look forward to your write up

Well, I'll have to spend some serious time sanitizing it first. Right now it's about 50% profanity.  ;D
<<

Elw00d

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

YuckTheFankees wrote:After hearing and reading so many positive reviews over the past year, I decided to take the plunge. I received my materials late Saturday (08/04) evening, which was technically 08/05 00:00 GMT. So far I have about 8 hours invested into the course and I have enjoyed everything so far. At first, I started reading the modules in order (lab pdf) but then I decided to briefly fly through the entire lab pdf, just to see exactly what I will be learning. Sooo..I've been reading/slighty skimming through the lab for about 4-6 hours and I'm only on module 8, so that should give people an indication to how much material is packed into the lab pdf.

Just like so many people have mentioned, I can get through the first five modules pretty easy (learning backtrack, learning some BASH/python, port scanning, enumeration, etc..)but from module six and on, I know I will have to do A LOT of outside research...which I'm completely fine with. I'm not going to lie, going through the buffer overflow section for the first time was like reading Japanese.

The further I get into the Lab pdf, the more I feel a little overwhelmed. I kind of wish OffSec would give you the choice of going through the PDF and Video's for a week or two, then starting the lab time. The material is totally worth it but I can't help but think I'm losing money by reading, researching, and watching video's..rather than messing with the lab.

My personal goal is to get everything done within 60 lab days and take the test some time after that.

Well I better get back to the pdf. Any comments are welcomed.

Good luck!  Looks like we started at the same time.  I haven't read through this entire thread, but how is day 25 treating you?
<<

Jamie.R

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:18 am

Cool well post it once you had sorted it out as I think it not only be good for future students but also people who run the course. When you run a course its good to get negative feedback as it helps make the course better.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

azmatt

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:07 am

DragonGorge wrote:
Jamie.R wrote:DragonGorge its good idea keeping diary i look forward to your write up

Well, I'll have to spend some serious time sanitizing it first. Right now it's about 50% profanity.  ;D

Can you please save a profane version for me :)

Seriously though, all of your feedback has me very excited to take this course. There are a few things that I want to get out of the way first to make sure I'm prepared for the course but it's at the top of my 2013 list.
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
Previous

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional