Advice Please

<<

Yet

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Advice Please

Hello, please i need some advice i want to start attending Penetration Course but i don't have any knowledge about programming but HackingDojo is offering novice course, there's also Offensive-Security & eLearnSecurity i know there are more sites like this but please can someone point me to the right direction ?
<<

ZeroOne

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Advice Please

Tell us more about your computing background so we can help you out.
Last edited by ZeroOne on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Yet

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Well as i said i am still newbie but i having been learning how to use linux by doing some studies reading tutorials but i don't have any idea about programming etc .
<<

shadowzero

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 pm

I recommend learning some programming. At the least, shell scripting and python to start with. Python is quick to pick up. That should at least give you the ability to make sense of code written in C. Once you've mastered one language, you'll be able to learn others much quicker. Knowing programming will give you an advantage when it comes to hands on pentesting courses.

You'll need to write your own tools sometimes to speed things up, or modify exploit code, or even write your own.
<<

johnny

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:22 pm

You should take CEH course and certification to gain general backgroud, before taken Offensive Security courses, it could be useful programming skills, y recommend Ruby and C/C++, there are plenty of books online.
<<

Triban

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 pm

work on building up a strong base.  If you have a knack for coding, build off that.  Learn some scripting languages, maybe some assembly if you are feeling like you might want to create some decent exploits and look for app vulnerabilities.  You will also want to strengthen your knowledge on network principals.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:34 am

There are many good course about, I think it really does depend on what you already know.

If you are only intrested in programing then securitytube Python course or there are tons of free online course take look some other post on this forum.

If its pentesting skills I would say elearn course I think its really good value for money and if your newbi I think it might be the best course around at the moment.

If you dont some pentesting before them I would maybe say OSCP.

I am not big fan of CEH I have never done it but read the book what is great if you a compete newbi to security and dont know anything. I never done the course and know they have tried to improve it a lot over the year but in the UK its not really regarded as a good cert to get.

The main ones in the UK are:
CISSP
OSCP
TIGER
CREST

The last two being the most inportant and hardest .
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Yet

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:12 pm

Well thanks for you guys responses but then i am also planning to be programmer, but first i would go with novice course to make me familiar with codes also have in-depth of what i am doing  .
<<

psyk0de

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

I've written a complete guide covering this.
check out my topic:
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... 0294&nbsp; ::)
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:12 pm

I think you then need to ask yourself what do you want to code websites ? doing this then moving in web app pen testing.

Mobile phones apps
Enterprise apps

There are so many languages I started with visual basic,PHP,HTML then moved onto Java but there are lots great resource online that are free just use Google or search this forum as there lots good recommendation here

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Yet

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Well someone have to start from some where .

Jamie.R wrote:I think you then need to ask yourself what do you want to code websites ? doing this then moving in web app pen testing.

Mobile phones apps
Enterprise apps

There are so many languages I started with visual basic,PHP,HTML then moved onto Java but there are lots great resource online that are free just use Google or search this forum as there lots good recommendation here
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:49 pm

yes that is true but there is no point learning HTML if you never plan on touching a web site. I would say its bit waste of time I would learn something that you can use now and really get into maybe Python and write some security tools

I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to General Certification