VMWARE Network Settings For Pentest Lab Help ?

<<

skorpinok

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 am

VMWARE Network Settings For Pentest Lab Help ?

Hello,
          I have Backtrack 5R2, Windows XP & Metasploitable-2  inside the VMWARE Workstation, i need Backtrack machine to communicate with other two vm's & download updates,surf internet, so what will be the network setup in this case ? please suggest me..

Regards.
<<

jjwinter

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:29 am

Re: VMWARE Network Settings For Pentest Lab Help ?

In my little lab my BT5 VM is bridged. Bridge your other VM's and they should all see each other, and whatever other machines are on the same network as your host.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 am

Bridging should work, but beware that this now means your virtual environment is now connected to your LAN. Any attacks, malware, etc that you unleash could hit your production systems and beyond.

This can get particular interesting if you're experimenting with layer2 attacks for the first time, not that I have first hand experience of course...... *whistles*

It's a little dated and doesn't still match my current setup (I need to spend more time in the lab), but I covered my VMWare network set-up some time ago. Hopefully it will help give you some ideas/pointers.

[blog post] Virtual Lab Network
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 pm

if u have vmware 8 just create a host only network and uncheck the dhcp option then go to network and sharing center right click on ur lan or wlan which is connected to internet in sharing tab click on allow other networks user to connect ..... And click ok and u must use the host only adapter for all of ur vms thats all enjoy
ICS Academy Network Security Certified

Return to Network Pen Testing