please shed some light

<<

LT72884

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: please shed some light

im hoping it will. haha. The rules you have to follow for adding acls to routers is tough but writing them is pretty cool. I remember during my CCNA, it took me 45 minutes for one of the sims because it was soooo wicked hard. advanced firewall config was the exercise. haha. got 100%on security though.

I want to start a new thread for a new question but i am not sure when i should. haha. I want to discuss two firewall programs(entangle vs smoothwall) and how to add them to my vmplayer network for a lab. but i dont want to start to many threads.. haha. I want to learn how firewalls work and be able to use namp against one and then read the logs and see what it is doing. Then i want to tighten security on the fire wall and see if i can get past it to see if i can get access to de-ice 1.100

thanks guys
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 am

I would say get copy of CCNA material and go thought it as it will help you loads understand networks better.

You can find material online but I recently went thought the CCNA material and it just help me understnad networking alot better how things likes firewall rules work, ACL , NAT this only help you when doing pen testing.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

LT72884

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Jamie.R wrote:I would say get copy of CCNA material and go thought it as it will help you loads understand networks better.

You can find material online but I recently went thought the CCNA material and it just help me understnad networking alot better how things likes firewall rules work, ACL , NAT this only help you when doing pen testing.

exactly, its been 5 years since i have used any of my CCNP knowledge or CCNA. last time i used it, i installed the back bone for ebay HQ here in draper. That was a crazy project.

I still have access to the ccna learning center and i have all the books for my ccna and ccnp.

My next course after the pen test is my linux RHCT and security. Linux cbt has contacted me and i own there cbt. they are trying to help me build a lab. hahaha.

Im also talking to another group of how to make challange disks for firewall pentesting and also router pen testing. i want to at least contribute to the security group. haha. Even if it means i have to just make tutorials on it for now and tell people how to set up the firewall for some challanges.

thanks guys.

I just started reading the issaf, very interesting. Hopefully with the knowledge from that i can complete the lvl 1 disk.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 am

I found knowing the basic does really help loads. You can also pratice more complex attack like vlan hoping with cdp so on...
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

LT72884

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Jamie.R wrote:I found knowing the basic does really help loads. You can also pratice more complex attack like vlan hoping with cdp so on...

i think i have seen that once before in my ccnp class. Is that were you take advantage of the way the trunking protocol works and by using cdp, you can see info passing from each vlan?

See my problem is i know basics but could never figure out how to manipulate the basics to find security issues. haha
Previous

Return to Network Pen Testing