please shed some light

<<

Triban

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: please shed some light

hmmm, 1.101 may be referring to either your attacker IP or one of the targets.  The De-Ice labs I have from the book are 1.100, 1.110, 2.100.    Ok so each lab gives you the setup needed for the attacker system (BT) and the target (De-Ice ISO image).  The De-Ice system is typically matched up to the number of the lab (192.168.1.100).  You need to configure your attacking system accordingly.  My 1.100 image has the following open:
  Code:
20/tcp  closed ftp-data
21/tcp  open   ftp
22/tcp  open   ssh
25/tcp  open   smtp
80/tcp  open   http
110/tcp open   pop3
143/tcp open   imap
443/tcp closed https

Enjoy!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

LT72884

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Yeha the ones that came with the book are 1.100 and 1.110 but in his videos he ays attack he 1.101 target as your individual pen test project. He has his back rack set to 1.10. Here are my open and closed ports. udp 53 is closed but book  gives hint that it is actually open. haha. but netcat dont wanna connect to it using nc -u 192.168.1.100 53. any way, i assume the 1.101 is now 1.110

Code:
root@bt:~# nmap 192.168.1.100

Starting Nmap 5.61TEST4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-08-02 23:14 EDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.100
Host is up (0.00023s latency).
Not shown: 992 filtered ports
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
20/tcp  closed ftp-data
21/tcp  open   ftp
22/tcp  open   ssh
25/tcp  closed smtp
80/tcp  open   http
110/tcp open   pop3
143/tcp open   imap
443/tcp closed https
MAC Address: 00:0C:29:9A:56:D7 (VMware)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 17.37 seconds
root@bt:~#

<<

Triban

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:11 am

yeah the videos might be sligthly newer than the book or vice versa.  The book goes along well with the labs and that's how I've been using them.  I may fire that one up after I am done with my current read/lab combo. 
(@)Dewser
<<

LT72884

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

3xban wrote:yeah the videos might be sligthly newer than the book or vice versa.  The book goes along well with the labs and that's how I've been using them.  I may fire that one up after I am done with my current read/lab combo. 

so far i like it. I have found that i need to follow the videos first and the ISSAF before i read all of his book. Some of the concepts in the book are more advanced than what i am used to. I want to complete the de-ice lvl 1 first before i read the advanced material in his book. haha.

What read/lab combo you doing now?

thanks
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

im really sorry i typed the ncrack command wrongly here is the correct one :
Ncrack -v --user <username> <target's ip><port>

Yeah can i use the dvd without the book? The book is so boring
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

Triban

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 am

LT72884 wrote:
What read/lab combo you doing now?

thanks

Practical Malware Analysis.  Static/Binary analysis and reverse engineering.  Something I am much more interested in at the moment.  Working with IDA Pro at the moment.
(@)Dewser
<<

Grendel

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 am

Just found this thread, and wanted to try and fill in the gaps regarding my book and the videos present in it...

IP address:
The De-ICE disks were designed to simply give a challenge of attacking a system. Because of the IP address and number of protocols available on the target systems, you can look at them theoretically as internal systems. However, I wanted those people using them to worry less about the network configuration, and more about the process of information gathering, vulnerability identification, etc. I also wanted to make them based on misconfiguration instead of exploitable applications, so that people would quit thinking pentesting was simply launching autopwn and rooting.

Videos:
The videos came first, the book second. Although the videos in the book are still valid and useful, they come from the Heorot.net training program, which has now migrated over the HackingDojo.com. To keep things in perspective, the videos in the book could be considered v1, while the Dojo material has evolved to about v4. Currently, for the same level of training in the book, there is about 10 hours of video training at the Hacking Dojo. In addition, there is a lot more hands-on activity at the Dojo as well, plus we have live sessions at the Dojo... much more evolved than what's in the book.

De-ICE 1.101:
This image has not been released to the public, and is accessible only for students of HackingDojo.com (and heorot.net beforehand). It is used as a method of testing a student (along with a written exam) to see if they have absorbed and can demonstrate the appropriate knowledge to move onto the 2D Nidan level of training. Consequently, there is a De-ICE 2.101 disk as well that again has not been released to the public, and is used by students to test out of the 2D class onto the 3D.

Hopefully that helps answer some of your questions. Now that I know that this thread is here, I will monitor it in case anyone else has questions about my book or the videos.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

LT72884

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Awesome. that makes sense now. Ok so i was not just hearing things then. There is actually a 1.101 but it is only for student use. ok cool. So sine i do not have access to that, will 1.110 suffice for 1.101?

I am trying to follow the dvd videos first then read the book. I plan on writing my technical report so i can turn it into my english professor as a grade. haha.

Thomas? do you give a little demo or tour of the new online lab you have besides whats on the youtube video?

it looks pretty cool what you are doing though. i wish when i was doing my ccna and ccnp, we had something like this to help us out. haha.

thanks for all the help. i like the book, but i need to read the issaf and follow the videos fist before i understnad the book. haha

thanks
Last edited by LT72884 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Grendel

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah, feel free to use the 1.110 as a target. It doesn't track the same, but the concepts of the methodology are identical.

I don't have any additional videos of the online lab, since it can fluctuate in its design. On an unrelated note,I have to admit it's fun watching what people do in the lab - as an example, I mention to students they should try to be like surgeons, and conduct surgical strikes... but they come in carpet bombing the targets.  ;D But that comes with time.

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions you might have. Enjoy!
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

LT72884

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:26 am

Grendel wrote:I mention to students they should try to be like surgeons, and conduct surgical strikes... but they come in carpet bombing the targets.  ;D But that comes with time.

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions you might have. Enjoy!

I can appreciate that since i am a pre med student. Thopugh i am not studying to be a surgeon, but rather the possibility to make surgical tools or biomenitic legs and arms for those who need them. OR  posibly power generation. But my degree requires pre med. haha.

I feel somewhat dumb in a way. i cant believe i struggle on levle one. haha. there is no way i could have figured it out by myself with out the movies. haha.

I do have to say that the ISSAF is a funny ol thing. it gives you ideas of what to do without telling you how, not all the time though. haha.

After this course i am doing. I will FINALLY get to my linuxcbt course i purchased 4 years ago. i got the security edition and the RHCT course as well. I took it in school and had to purchase the CBT. I completed the first course but not the other 2. so that is next. just need to build a lab for it though. thats the hard part. They sent me a picture of whathe VM environment should look like... holy crap its complicated. hahaha

thanks for the info.
<<

shadowzero

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:10 am

LT72884 wrote:I feel somewhat dumb in a way. i cant believe i struggle on levle one. haha. there is no way i could have figured it out by myself with out the movies. haha.

If you're new to this, you should expect to struggle for the first few attempts. As you progress you'll start to learn what to look for and things will become a little easier. There will always be some degree of trial and error, especially when you get to more challenging machines, but there's no substitute for experience and lots of practice.
<<

LT72884

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

shadowzero wrote:
If you're new to this, you should expect to struggle for the first few attempts. As you progress you'll start to learn what to look for and things will become a little easier. There will always be some degree of trial and error, especially when you get to more challenging machines, but there's no substitute for experience and lots of practice.

True. it is completely new to . I went back and looked at my ccna and ccnp security and it was all packet filtering and port forwarding stuff. nothing on how to attack a system. haha.

I want to learn to use nmap in an environment with routers and firewalls, but im not sure how to run those apps in a vmplayer, nor do i know what config settngs should be configured on the firewall a well. IE, how secure should i configure it or how open. Wish there was a router/firewall challenge disk ISO.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 am

You do have a few options you can get some cheap kit on ebay and setup a router. or you coudl take a look at http://www.gns3.net/
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

LT72884

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

Jamie.R wrote:You do have a few options you can get some cheap kit on ebay and setup a router. or you coudl take a look at http://www.gns3.net/

i forgot to mention that i have real equip but no room. so i must go virtual. GNS3 was like packet tracer in its day. haha. it looks like you can run virtual box with it but not vmplayer. dang it.
thanks
Last edited by LT72884 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

shadowzero

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

LT72884 wrote:True. it is completely new to . I went back and looked at my ccna and ccnp security and it was all packet filtering and port forwarding stuff. nothing on how to attack a system. haha.

That will come in handy. Some attacks require you to analyze network traffic (fuzzing, man-in-the-middle, etc), and having a solid understanding of networks will help you when it comes time to pivot through internal networks.
PreviousNext

Return to Network Pen Testing