OSCP exam tomorrow (16th)

<<

venom77

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: OSCP exam tomorrow (16th)

Sorry to hear. Did you do the extra mile challenges during the course? Hard to remember but I think when I was going through, I was looking deeper than I needed to look. Taking a quick nap for a few hours was also helpful.
<<

DragonGorge

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 pm

BillV wrote:Did you do the extra mile challenges during the course?

I'm taking the course now but I'm not trying to get exam hints. Does your question imply that the (somewhat uncovered) concepts in the extra mile(s) are needed for the exam? If so, why doesn't Offsec teach them as part of the core material?
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm

DragonGorge wrote:
BillV wrote:Did you do the extra mile challenges during the course?

I'm taking the course now but I'm not trying to get exam hints. Does your question imply that the (somewhat uncovered) concepts in the extra mile(s) are needed for the exam? If so, why doesn't Offsec teach them as part of the core material?

The course materials are just the tip of the iceberg. The most difficult parts of the course are research, problem solving, and staying organized. The Extra Mile exercises and lab activities help you development these skills. It's not something they can simply teach by expanding on the written/video resources.

It's just like how you can't learn how to juggle by reading about it. If you're not even putting the time into doing the majority of the Extra Mile exercises and lab systems, you're not obtaining the skills to do well on the exam (or out in the real-world).
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

DragonGorge

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 am

I'm going to preface this response by saying that it is in no way, shape, or form meant to come across as snarky or negative.

Maybe it's issue of interpretation. I take "extra" literally, i.e. beyond what is usual, expected, or necessary. In the past I've seen "extra mile" exercises to mean, "good skill/information to know but not necessary for the exam." So, if I'm weighing my time (class, work, family, a wife who has only seen the back of my head for the last 5 weeks), I might be tempted to skip the extra mile in favor of brushing up on ruby or catching up on some household chores, etc, etc. And if the extra miles are mean to impart research, problem solving, and organization skills,  critical to passing the exam, then why not simply move the extra mile exercises into the main body of the course?

If you're not even putting the time into doing the majority of the Extra Mile exercises and lab systems, you're not obtaining the skills to do well on the exam (or out in the real-world).

I don't have a problem with extra practice, and I think it's been made very clear that we're supposed to hone our skills on the lab machines. My issue is with extra mile exercises that cover concepts that may or may not be on the exam but weren't covered in the lecture.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:33 am

It would be good if the lab time was more flexible from what I understnad your labs time starts and you get the amount days you paid for. It would be better if you could have 30 days worth so that mean sometimes like sunday you can spean all day in labs and other when you have work and other commitments you could spend less but not loss lab time.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

shadowzero

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

Certain sections in the course can be done offline. You have three months to schedule your exam after your lab time ends, so you could easily spend an extra three months working on those sections you feel weak in before you take the exam. Things like buffer overflows are good a good example of things you can practice offline. You can download vulnerable virtual machine images made to be broken into for practice during that time as well, there's plenty of material out there to practice on once your lab time ends.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm

@DragonGorge: without going back and looking through the manuals, I don't believe anything in the 'extra mile' challenges was _required_ to pass the exam. The exercises completed within the course itself, along with a little further understanding of what you're doing and hopefully some previous experience, is what's required. This is why many people don't recommend this course for a beginner. The extra mile challenges do help to give you some extra points for the exam though - so if you're struggling and are "on the ledge," they may just bump you over to a passing score.

Personally, I like the fact that they put these in there. They show you where to go to further expand your skills and provide you the direction - it's up to you to continue the research. This is a critical skill and something important for everyone in this field to understand. Working anywhere in security requires you to constantly keep up-to-date on just about everything.

I certainly understand where you're coming from though. It's very tough working in this field and balancing the rest of life along with it. I believe they state in the guide somewhere that the extra mile challenges are just that, extra.

@Jamie.R: Maybe they'll consider doing it that way with the lab time in the future (similar to eLS). I think that's a great way of going about it.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 am

Yes me too billV makes more sense and better value for money for people who work or who have family.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

jjwinter

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Just to clarify on lab time, once they let you loose in the lab, your timer starts ticking 24/7 and stops only when your 30/60/90 days are up? No hitting "pause"? So its not "connected to the lab and working" time, its "you have this block of days allotted"

I am seriously considering this course and want to be sure I take it at the right time. My wife and kids like to see me occasionally too.
<<

azmatt

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Yeah that's it. I'm planning on getting the 90 version and setting aside money for a 90 day extension. I would rather be way over prepared for the test than face 24 hours of misery :)
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 pm

@jjwinter - That's correct. No hitting pause. Your lab time starts as soon as your admitted into the course. I would advise 90 days just to get the most of your time. The network has been expanded like never before and you get most of your experience by hacking away. You'll feel most prepared for the exam the more machines you break into. The extra miles are a good way to get more practice too!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Jamie.R

Post Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:29 pm

I heard it was possible to ask just for the lab guide and video first and start your lab time off at later date can anyone confirm this?

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:45 am

I've never heard that, personally.  Sorry I can't help confirm for you...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 pm

hayabusa wrote:I've never heard that, personally.  Sorry I can't help confirm for you...

Likewise. I'm pretty sure I asked for a delay when I originally purchased the course and was told that wasn't an option.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

sternone

Post Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I think it was just wishful thinking.

There is no such thing as a pause. The OSCP is all about the labs.
Try harder....hmpf!!
Previous

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional