OSCP exam question

<<

satish.lx

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:59 am

OSCP exam question

I am wondering what if in exam i run password cracker or brute force which take long time to get access? some time they take more than 24 hours.  Do it recommend to run password cracker ????
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:37 am

Re: OSCP exam question

If you're not having luck with password.lst or darkc0de.lst, try finding another wordlist, such as those at http://www.skullsecurity.org/wiki/index.php/Passwords

None of those will take that long to run, even with some mangling.

They're not going to have you crack a password that takes weeks on average in a 24-hour exam. The exam's difficult, but fair (at least in that regard ;)).
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

satish.lx

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for answer!

If i run remote exploit on server and by mistake that service got crash then? for example i can see there is a exploit on port 80 but if i run come script which crash service, now how i get in to port 80? in exam can i revert back machine to original state?
<<

Data_Raid

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:14 am

satish.lx wrote:Thanks for answer!

If i run remote exploit on server and by mistake that service got crash then? for example i can see there is a exploit on port 80 but if i run come script which crash service, now how i get in to port 80? in exam can i revert back machine to original state?

You can revert the machines during the exam (just like the lab) and if you have any problems with any of the machines you can also get hold of one of the admins via chat and they can reset the machine if required.
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 pm

i really want to get oscp its much more better than ceh but idk how to get starte and i have a question if this certificate is great, why CEH is more famous? Specially in 3rd world countries.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

shadowzero

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 am

cyber.spirit wrote:i really want to get oscp its much more better than ceh but idk how to get starte and i have a question if this certificate is great, why CEH is more famous? Specially in 3rd world countries.

There's a difference between knowing how something is done, and actually doing it. A lot of certs out there focus on how something is done, and quiz you with a multiple choice exam. Don't know the answer? Guess, maybe you'll get it right. OSCP tests you on your ability to actually understand the concepts, and apply them on real machines. There are no multiple choice questions. You either know how to break into the machine, or you don't.

The syllabus on the OSCP tells you what you need to know before you take it. Typically it states that you should have a good understanding of networking. I would also suggest knowing some programming as it will help you focus on the hacking material instead of learning programming as you go along.
<<

satish.lx

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am

Its been a long time CEH around thats why its popular. And i believe CEH was first cert came out regarding hacking thats why it was famous, but now time turns around and we found something better than CEH, and its getting popular day by day..
<<

tturner

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

cyber.spirit wrote:...and i have a question if this certificate is great, why CEH is more famous? Specially in 3rd world countries.

Marketing.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

satish.lx

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm

@tturner

+1

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional