Is it a good starting-point?

<<

pushaaaz

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Is it a good starting-point?

Hi everybody,

finally in September i'll get my bachelor degree (computer science of course), and probably i will start a new life experience going abroad to learn English (1 year), because all EU universities require a decent english level (between B2 and C1 i think). However i've decided to don't waste my time and start learning something about penetration testing.

I wanna ask you if these books are good to start this new experience until the enrollment at University for the master (i dont know yet which are the best uni in this field, do you any idea :) ?)

- Hacking Exposed
- TCP/IP (well i know it's not on pentesting but probably could improve my knowledge about networks and protocols)
- Coding for Penetration Testers (because im weak with scripting languages)

Thank you in advice
<<

Triban

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Is it a good starting-point?

Those are pretty good starts.  Your best tool will be building a strong base.  TCP/IP Illustrated 2nd Edition is another decent one to add to the list.  Knowledge of how networks and Operating systems work will be key to becoming a great pen tester.  The automated tools available are great but they really just help speed things along.  Your goal is to learn to break in without them.  Good luck!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am

hi pushaaaz
Welcome to this great forum . in my opinion those books are great and your in good route too. Study harder and harder like me and keep in mind experience is so involve but you cant find it in books you must get it with your exercises Good luck.

Cyber.spirit....
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

pushaaaz

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for your answer. I've the last question for you guys. Since i will go abroad for an year, will be some possibilities to "have" an internship? (to improve quickly my skills) Or my skills of "bachelor" are not enough to start an internship? (of course in the field of IT security)

thank you again-
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 pm

pushaaaz wrote:Thanks for your answer. I've the last question for you guys. Since i will go abroad for an year, will be some possibilities to "have" an internship? (to improve quickly my skills) Or my skills of "bachelor" are not enough to start an internship? (of course in the field of IT security)

thapnk you again-

Can u tell me exactly what do want?
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

shadowzero

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:01 pm

pushaaaz wrote:Thanks for your answer. I've the last question for you guys. Since i will go abroad for an year, will be some possibilities to "have" an internship? (to improve quickly my skills) Or my skills of "bachelor" are not enough to start an internship? (of course in the field of IT security)

thank you again-

That all depends on which company you want to work with and what their requirements are. I suggest you look up some US companies and see what they want from their interns.
<<

pushaaaz

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:40 am

Simply, i wish to have an experience useful for my future. For instance, could be cool to work in an environment where i can improve my knowledge about network security or something like that. I dont claim an internship with a good salary (probably doesnt exist) but just to earn some money to maintain myself during this period, 'cause my family doesn't have money enough to maintain me abroad, so i want to help them working somewhere, and i want to take advantage of this opportunity to do something about IT. That's all
<<

venom77

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Where are you currently and where are you headed? You should be able to find some type of internship related to IT - don't think that will be a problem. You may even be able to find some temporary/contractual paying positions as well. Take what you can get if you're truly interested and jump in. See where you can help out and learn everything they are willing to teach.
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:49 am

There are lots great books it really does depend on what area you want to go in.

The coders one is ok I would say maybe learn one lan like python.

I would also try do few course too if you can afford it and start a project that give you stuff to talk at any interviews.

Go to cons and meet people too.
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:08 am

If you are not that crash hot with Python then the Security Tube vid's are great! I have been doing the SPSE and it's not bad! (http://www.securitytube.net/groups?oper ... groupId=11)
<<

pushaaaz

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Mmm, so python is the most important and required script language?
<<

shadowzero

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm

pushaaaz wrote:Mmm, so python is the most important and required script language?

No. It's not the most important or required, but you should know at least one programming language, be it Perl, C, Python, or whatever else. The point is, you should be able to quickly write and read code so you can modify exploits, write your own tools, etc. Python is just recommended because it's easy to learn, and you can write some powerful scripts relatively quickly.
<<

S3curityM0nkey

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:11 pm

pushaaaz wrote:Mmm, so python is the most important and required script language?

I guess that depends on who you talk to. I like it because you can build POC's nice and fast with very little code. Also it's easy to pick up if you haven't had much software development experience.
<<

m0wgli

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 am

Have you seen the bsides talk on breaking into security by Robin Wood (digininja)?

http://www.digininja.org/projects_general.php

Of the programming languages recommended to learn, python was recommended by 81% of respondents. Closely followed by bash scripting at 79%.
Security + | OSWP | eCPPT (Silver & Gold) | CSTA
<<

Jamie.R

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:12 am

Yes I seen that in fact I think I posted it in another post :)
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing