Hacking Course - Need Laptop

<<

Tinfoilcat

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:01 am

Hacking Course - Need Laptop

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums.

I am starting an Ethical hacking course within the next few months and I have been instructed to buy a new laptop capable of running BT5 R2 to the limit. I am very new to this field of work, and I need help trying to decide what to buy.

I have around 3000 euros to spend.
This laptop needs to be capable of everything I am asked to do.
It has to last me for the next 4 years.

I was looking towards the lenovo W line. Opinions?
Oh and btw, I have a thing about Chiclet keyboards...hate them.
But it appears this is the way the manufacturers want to take it :(
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Re: Hacking Course - Need Laptop

may or may not be what is needed, but I would go look at what SANS lists as recomendations for their classes and use that as a base line.

Personally, I would get something with the largest processor and 16gig of memory, with a 15 to 17 inch screen, that I could afford.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Tinfoilcat

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:11 pm

I am considering the Lenovo W530 with:

Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory

32 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (4 DIMM)

Its come out at roughly £3500.

Although the keyboard is Chiclet, I have heard the rumour that Lenovo will offer the old keyboard as an option around august 2012. I would consider waiting for this.

This is a good investment right? It's going to last for 4 years? :D
<<

DragonGorge

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:04 am

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad last year. At first I hated the chicklet keyboard and it's still terrible for gaming, but I eventually got used to it. It's a decent computer and pretty powerful for the price. Good enough to run all my programs (VMWare, Backtrack, et al).

Beware though - it runs hot (fry an egg hot) if you're playing a game.
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm

man if u a computer u dont need to buy laptop u can use virtual machine for BT5 R2 like me im using vmware to run it in my windows seven u can use virtualbox for free good luck
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm

cyber.spirit wrote:man if u a computer u dont need to buy laptop u can use virtual machine for BT5 R2 like me im using vmware to run it in my windows seven u can use virtualbox for free good luck

You can do the same with a laptop, and have the added bonus of it being portable.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Darktaurus

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:12 pm

chrisj wrote:
cyber.spirit wrote:man if u a computer u dont need to buy laptop u can use virtual machine for BT5 R2 like me im using vmware to run it in my windows seven u can use virtualbox for free good luck

You can do the same with a laptop, and have the added bonus of it being portable.

I would have to agree with chrisj.  A 16GB laptop with vmware workstation and a technet subscription is priceless.  And good for gaming too.  I would just say you might want to get a 15' since the 17' gets a little heavy after a while. 
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

Triban

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:45 am

I will agree with ChrisJ and Agoonie.  Granted you can probably get more beef out of a desktop machine for less cost, it will not serve you if you are mobile.  Laptops are certainly a better option in this industy considering that many of us travel to Conferences, take classes and may even be security consultants.  Righ now I am running on an i7 MBP w/ 8GB.  Vmware workstation for the lab systems.  I've been able to run at least 3 systems with little impact on the host OS.  Though Lion is angering me with its random freezing. 
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser

Return to Hardware