[Article]-Network Security 101

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:22 am

[Article]-Network Security 101

Summer school is in, and here's a quick tutorial for either those who came from a programming background or something else other than the netsec side of security. And this from the man who literally wrote the book. Thanks Jason.

Let us know what you think people should know as part of their foundational knowledge of network security.

Permanent link: [Article]-Network Security 101

By Jason Andress

In the world of network security, we may face any of a number of threats. These may take the form of configuration issues on infrastructure or network-enabled devices, outages of power or communications lines, or more direct threats from attackers. As many people throughout the world are now heavily dependent on computers and networks to conduct business and manage their personal lives, loss of network connectivity and access to the services that depend on these networks can be extremely disruptive, at the least.

In this article, we will discuss some of the mechanisms that are used to protect networks, items of security infrastructure and devices put in place to increase stability and security, and measures taken to protect the traffic moving over these networks. The article may seem a little less technical for the more advanced ethical hacking crowd, but as this column moves forward, a base level of knowledge is a good thing to reinforce before moving on to higher level topics and even a new contest next month (wink wink nod nod).

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

jason

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Re: [Article]-Network Security 101

Thanks Don. I'm putting in a bit of time on the new contest this evening. I've saved up extra evil to go into this one, so I hope everyone is ready for a forehead banging good time  8)
<<

Triban

Post Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice article Jason, forwarded to some of our level 1 SOC people who like to get edumacated :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

jason

Post Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks. It's really complex subject when you dig into it, and this just scratches the surface, but we all have to start somewhere. If there are enough people interested in going deeper, I may do a follow-on article in the future.
<<

azmatt

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm

I really enjoyed the article, great overview. Can't wait for part 2  ::)
GCFA, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, CISSP, CEH, GSEC
<<

msantiago2222

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:05 pm

This is a great article!  It was really easy to follow and clearly explained!  Thanks for the info!

Return to Andress