Technical Mujahid Magazine

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:32 pm

Technical Mujahid Magazine

Interesting post from our friend Marcus Sachs of the Internet Storm Center. Maybe some of our international readers might be able to shed some light on this:

As Johannes pointed out in the earlier diary, an alert was issued a few hours ago concerning potential attacks aimed at banking and financial web sites.  DHS and others are in agreement that this is not a big deal and that the warning was issued as a prudent measure.  While doing some research on this issue, we found an announcement that a new magazine was available online.  Details are at the Middle East Media Research Center and the Search for International Terrorist Entities.  I don't speak or read Arabic, Farsi, or Urdo but if one of our readers can take a look at it and provide a quick translation that would be great!  We suspect that there might be a loose connection between the publication of the magazine and the alert.

UPDATE
For sake of completeness, here is the link to the SITE discussion about the original posting that set in motion this chain of events. 

Marcus H. Sachs
Director, SANS Internet Storm Center

Oroginal post:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1900

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Dman

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:41 pm

Re: Technical Mujahid Magazine

Don, thanks for this post and the one concerning Al Qaeda's possible web attacks.

Along those lines, a Network/Security manager I work with told me he joined InfraGard , where the FBI works with private entities to safeguard against such.

I don't know much about it, but plan on attending a meeting.  I was wondering what other members on the board know about it.

Thanks,

Dman
Last edited by Dman on Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mn_kthompson

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:00 am

I have sent in an application to join Infraguard, but I haven't gotten any response yet.  It can take some time.  Members of Infraguard have to submit to a background investigation where they are vetted for unclassified but sensitive information.

Once you're a member you'll have access to their web site where you can learn about emerging threats and share information between the FBI and other members of Infraguard.  The whole point of Infraguard is to share information between the people that maintain the nations critical infrastructure.  That means that you're not only going to learn about computer threats, but also threats to the nations water supply, or electrical grid, things like that.  This is all good information to have, though.  Your business continuity plan should include procedures for dealing with power loss, pandemic, contaminated water, etc.

Once I get my membership I'll be able to tell you if this is a worthwhile use of time, or just another government list to get on.
<<

p0et

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm

Do you guys know if there's an equivalent to Infagard for us Canadians?
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

blackazarro

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:49 am

I received my membership packet on September. It takes approximately 3 to 4 months for the FBI and infragard to process you membership. I first found out that I was offcially a member when I started to receive emails from infragard prior to receiving my packet. I submitted an email to infragard inquiring the status of my membership and they responded by saying that my membership packet was sent to my coordinator and that he was responsible of getting the packet to me. He finally send it to me.

Infragard is an alliance between the private and public sector created by the FBI for exchanging information with one another which could help protect the US critical infrastructure.  Benefits include if you are a member:

Why should you become an InfraGard member?

* FBI Certified and Accredited System

* Approved for sensitive but unclassified information

* Accessible from any internet connection

* VPN Technology

* No cost to user

* VPN software provided to user

* Secure e-mail communication

* Host based virus scanning of e-mail

* Secure online information sharing environment
          o Library articles
          o Periodicals
          o DHS Alerts and Advisories

For complete details visit infragard site:

http://www.infragard.net
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

Mordius

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:29 pm

InfraGard,

It is the best way for the concern American with technical skills to help his country stay secure. InfraGard is an association of government and business leaders, technology experts and other professionals that meet regularly and freely share their ideas and expertise with others in the organization. The goal of the InfraGard program is to educate and to empower the business community with the knowledge, skills and best practices necessary to effectively protect their business from the threats that face our nation every day.
Interested go to the website, http://www.infragardmembers.org/, attend a meeting, almost all are open to the public. The only major requirements are that you need to be a US Citizen to join.
I joined several years ago and now I serve on the National Board for the InfraGard National Membership Alliance, INMA. It is the membership arm for all the chapters across the country.
Do you part today, join and help secure our nation.
Cheers,

Alan Young
INMA, VP Management & Strategic Communications

8)
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I am also an InfraGard member but I do not remember it taking more than a few weeks to get my member package. I guess I am already in the system so it could of been a faster background. Anyway I feel it's a good idea to have a information share and in the end it only helps to make us all more secure.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Just checked out my local chapter's site.  It seems put together very well.  Anyone know how many people generally attend the meetings of the local chapters?

Looks like a great way to hear about new trends and even network.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

Marshel007

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm

I didn't see anything in arabic do you mean the video ?

Return to News from the Outside World