SPAN over wifi

<<

kerpap

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:56 am

SPAN over wifi

is there a way to sniff all network traffic on an AP similar to SPAN on a switch?
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am

Re: SPAN over wifi

Removed my last reply (sorry,) as I'd misread your post, the first time.

That said, if you can talk to wired clients from your wireless, and vice versa, then a hint might be to start Googling "ARP poisoning"  ;)

That's how many people bypass the need for a 'monitor' port on a switched network, etc, to successfully sniff.
Last edited by hayabusa on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:12 am

~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hell_razor

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 am

802.11 is a broadcast medium.  You can capture all packets, up to the bandwidth of your capture device, freely.  The potential issue is being able to decrypt all of the packets, which should also not be a problem if you have the appropriate keys to the data (PSK hopefully).
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:26 pm

@hell_razor - that's the response I started to lead with, but I think he's looking to sniff the wired ports and traffic, too.  IE - not just broadcast traffic and such on the wireless, but BOTH wireless and wired clients, such that directed, wired ip traffic (host ip to host ip on wired side) are also seen.

Then again, maybe I DOUBLE mis-interpreted, and you're correct in what he wanted, in which case... DOH!  :P
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

hell_razor

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm

I probably read AP a little too literally, was thinking a simple AP rather than a router with a hub bridged on it...will blame it on being Friday...
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Either way, hopefully we gave him what he wanted.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

WCNA

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:15 am

Check out airmon-ng. Then run wireshark on mon0.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

kerpap

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 pm

thanks for all the feedback.

it is an abstract question. I set up a span port on my switch to monitor traffic. the config on my switch will send all traffic since the AP is connected to a switch.

this is all really just for fun anyway.

it got me wondering if there was a way to send the same thing over the air to my laptop. I realize that in an actual production environment that is really stupid. this is purely just for fun at home with my lab

i'll keep playing around. another thing I thought was set an AP up on the SPAN port of the switch although I dont really see how that will work. I might try configuring the AP as a repeater so perhaps the traffic will get broadcast.

Return to Wireless