Hacking own router

<<

mgl

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 am

Hacking own router

Hi there,

I have router at home that I changed the admin password for fear of being hacked since I live on a big neighborhood. Now I need to access the admin panel on the router to change some settings since my ISP provided me with a bigger bandwidth. I obviously have physical access to the router and can obviously connect wireless or via cable.

Normally a reset would be an option but not in this case since to actually have internet I had to configure the router. I had this written down but I lost the papper and now I don't remember how to reconfigure it since it has been done by a technician. I already asked my ISP to send me someone again but they charge a ridiculous amount for the second time.

I've been searching online and it seems you can get the admin password to a router using hydra or medusa. I downloaded backtrack 5 and have been searching online how to do using it but I never really got how to do it since I'm very new in linux. So I'm here asking for help.
Last edited by mgl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ZeroOne

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 am

Re: Hacking own router

ISP should reset your password by your request at no charge! even if you lost it more than once, I never heard of an ISP that charges or send a technician only to reset the password, it could be done over the phone.
<<

mgl

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 am

They don't offer paid support because I'm not renting or bought a router from them but used my own
<<

ZeroOne

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:29 am

What is you router manufacturer/model?
<<

mgl

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:36 am

Kozumi KM-410WG
<<

MrTuxracer

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:26 am

What about asking your ISP only for the DSL/CABLE/Whatever account details, so you can setup your router by yourself after resetting to manufactory defaults ?

I think this is the easiest way.
eCPPT, HP ASE (Networking), LPIC-1, OSCP, WCSP
http://www.rcesecurity.com
<<

mgl

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 am

I have the account details, what I don't have is the settings and right configuration for the router. I would like to get this by accessing it and copying it, but I can't do this because I can't access the admin panel on the router since I changed the password and now can't remeber it.
Last edited by mgl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 am

Contacting your provider and asking them to email you the information you need to configure for your router, after you reset it should be pretty simple.

I'm assuming that the router uses a gui.

I found some videos with google searching: medusa webpage cracking

if you really want to learn more, Look up a copy of The Basics of hacking and Penetration testing. They go in to how to use Medusa / Hydra in the book. Forget which one exactly.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

MrTuxracer

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:52 am

But if you try to bruteforce your - of course long and secure - password, this could probably take a while. It's definitively faster to ask your ISP for the details like chrisj said  8)

Regards.
eCPPT, HP ASE (Networking), LPIC-1, OSCP, WCSP
http://www.rcesecurity.com
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:00 pm

In my experience, the reset on the router/modem you have should not keep you from having internet access. The techs usually set some information that doesnt seem to change with a normal reset, even to factory defaults. when you reset the device, dont mess with any options you are not familiar with. Another thing you can do is to hook up the ISP's router/modem temporarily, login to it and copy down the config info, then reset your personal router and configure it similarly.

if you have issues, just call the isp and ask them to walk you through the configuration. if they want to charge you (find the name of a competitor that serves your area) and tell them that you are thinking about switching to (insert second isp here) because they dont charge for customer support.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

mgl

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:52 am

Thank you for everyones helpful answer, yesterday after getting some numbers online and some trial and error I got it to work after the reset :D

once again thank you!
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 pm

mgl wrote:Thank you for everyones helpful answer, yesterday after getting some numbers online and some trial and error I got it to work after the reset :D

once again thank you!

now set up something like keepass or password safe on your box so you don't have to do that again. remember 1 password and your set.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to Other