"TCP/IP Essentials: A Lab-Based Approach", need reviews.

<<

ZeroOne

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:30 am

"TCP/IP Essentials: A Lab-Based Approach", need reviews.

Hi

Trying to get more practice on networks, why everyone going straight to security/penetration testing related books when there are other subjects that would introduce great deals for pentesters, I'm thinking about buying this book, any one read it? its more a practical book includes steps for setting your own network lab, also provides exercises.

"TCP/IP Essentials: A Lab-Based Approach"
http://www.amazon.com/TCP-IP-Essentials ... 260&sr=8-7

Thanks
Last edited by ZeroOne on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

unicityd

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 am

Re: "TCP/IP Essentials: A Lab-Based Approach", need reviews.

The book seems a little short which makes me doubt that it covers the topics in requisite detail.  TCP/IP Illustrated covers less and is three times as long.  I'd recommend reading the Cisco CCNA books by Odom and then TCP/IP illustrated Vol I or Douglas Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

ZeroOne

Post Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 am

unicityd wrote:The book seems a little short which makes me doubt that it covers the topics in requisite detail.  TCP/IP Illustrated covers less and is three times as long.  I'd recommend reading the Cisco CCNA books by Odom and then TCP/IP illustrated Vol I or Douglas Comer's Internetworking with TCP/IP.

I've gone through some topics of CCNA book + TCP/IP Illustrated, they mainly focus on theory while this book focus on how to set up a network lab and experiment on it, that is why it brought my attention.
<<

Triban

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Be careful how you judge the material.  Almost all books that deal with networking in some fashion start off with the theory items.  Also in a lab situation you may never truly touch on some important topics in networking.  It isn't a bad idea to go with CCNA material.  Cisco equipment is the most widely used networking platform.  So if anything you learn a enough to go and get a CCNA, which makes an excellent intro level cert to get you in the door.  As for TCP/IP illustrated, definitely a bible to have.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

unicityd

Post Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 pm

TCP/IP Illustrated isn't a theory book: it follows sniffs of real traffic throughout.  If the other book helps you, great.  But, you can just setup a few machines and start playing around.  Setup servers for FTP, HTTP, Telnet, SSH and sniff the traffic.  Monitor your ordinary web/email traffic.  Setup a Snort box and monitor traffic with that.  If you have access to Cisco equipment, you can put that into the mix; otherwise, download one of the network sims and practice Cisco commands on that.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

the_Grinch

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:19 pm

BS-CST Security+

Blog:  http://havewire.blogspot.com/

Return to Book Reviews