VMware Workstation Penetration Testing Lab

<<

N_OP

Post Mon May 28, 2012 12:57 am

VMware Workstation Penetration Testing Lab

Hey all at EH-net!

I'm new to the forums and I wanted to start off by getting some help with a setup I'm working on.

First off, I'm running a decent desktop for this; stats are below:
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k at 4.1ghz
RAM: 16gb
SSD 120gb (main drive)
2tb Western Digital (Secondary Drive)
--

They are basically the useful stats in this instance, it does have a gaming graphics card but that's not relevant here.

What I have:

VMware Workstation 7
1 Team: - Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)
              - Windows Server 2003 Standard(32bit)
              - Windows XP Professional
              - Windows 2000 Professional
              - Latest Fedora
              - Metasploitable
              - Damn Vulnerable Linux 1.5

They are all running on 1 segmented LAN, with the 2008 server using 2 virtual NIC - 1 for NAT to my current physical LAN, 1 to the segmented LAN. The rest are all assigned to the segmented LAN.

Now Ideally I want the 2008 Server to run as a Domain Controller with DHCP and DNS to organise the rest into 1 working domain.

Functionality is that I want them to be running services for different things, but also I want to be able to access the other workstations/servers from the physical side of the 2008 server, which is the existing lan. I have backtrack set up on a laptop and I want to be able to use it. So I'm asking if I can do that without having to add another VM running backtrack so I'll already be within the domain. I'm not so much looking for 100% realism but having multiple platforms to use for testing would be nice, but also being able to map out the network and use domain names and subdomain names, actually having it a working LAN under the main DC controller.

The part I'm stuck on is setting up the DHCP and DNS services, I've assigned a static IP for the NIC that connects to the physical network on the NAT Vmnet, but I'm being advised that the Segmented LAN connection requires a static IP for the DHCP and DNS to work properly, I understand why but I cant get this to really work.

Does anyone have any links, process on setting up this type of network, even if its just setting up one domain controller on VMware and having to connect another workstation to it to give it internet access.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to get this set up!

Thanks for the read.

N_OP
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Mon May 28, 2012 2:06 am

Re: VMware Workstation Penetration Testing Lab

First i think its better to run that backtrack on your Vmware bcoz maybe some of tools cant work with other subnet for example if you have a windows OS you only can use MBSA (Microsoft security baseline analyzer) in your local subnet so if u run the backtrack on VM you can use host only adapter.

second its just a Technic i have no references or i cant prove that but always when i wanna configure vmware adapters (Specially on Version 7 or 7.1) i always delete all of default adapters (First select them as host only then uncheck the connect to a host virtual adapter item) then i create new adapter in other numbers (Dont forget to disable the dhcp item too)

if you want your VM can commincate with other physical machines you must set the NAT on your card but i think other physical machine cant get IP from your dhcp server bcoz NAT is some thing like router and routers block broad cast packets

Third, before you run DC (Domain controller) create an snapshot of your vmware machine status it can be useful in failures or if you forgot ur Pass and so on after you configured your DC do it again/

forth, set ur domain functional level and forest functional level on windows 2000 as you mentioned you have that machine on your lab
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Mon May 28, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

Triban

Post Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 am

you can use the Windows 2008 functional level, you only need to go mixed if you are running Domain controllers that are not 2008.  Going to the 2008 domain functional allows him to configure more of the advanced features available in 2008 domains. 

As far as getting them to talk, you may just need to configure some routes on the network.  I had to do this at one point and all I did was create a route map on my linksys broadband router to tell clients where to go for the lab IP range.  Ideally you should restrict this communication to a single device though.  The security testing lab should be configured away from your regular systems and maybe only allow it out to the internet, which can be accomplished using a gateway of sorts on the lab, either a physical box with 2 NICs passing the traffic or a separate router connected to your main internet gateway. 

So if you are using your BT system outside of the lab, you can create a route to point to the NIC IP you configured on your 2008 box that has access to the physical LAN.  On the 2008 box you will need to have RRAS configured so it can pass the traffic back and forth.  On the BT system you can create a static route for the VM lab LAN, the gateway would be the physical LAN NIC of the 2008 server. 

As for the questions at hand...

On the 2008 box, if you made it a DC already, best to scrap it and revert back to the base before promoting it.  Get the hardware piece settle first.  Also I would advise configuring a separate 2008 server for RRAS.  RRAS will cause some headaches on a domain controller.

• STOP!  Create another 2008 box, if you want to avoid the patching and installation, clone your current one if it has a clean snapshot.  Then proceed to building your DC.  It will act as a regular system in your LAB.  I advise building a separate 2008 box for RRAS services.
  • On the RRAS box, Before firing it up, install a second virtual NIC.  Configure the NIC as a bridge, that way it will connect directly to the main LAN through your host adapter.  Don't worry about the static IP yet.
  • Set the original VM adapter as Custom and pick one of the options.  NAT will just cause it to also connect to the physical network.  Host Only will most likely give you routing issues.
  • Power up the 2008 box and begin the static configurations for the IP addresses.  Assign the Bridged adapter an IP on your physical LAN that is not in use, I typically choose IPs not currently in the DHCP range.  For DNS just configure whatever your default one is for the physical LAN.
  • Configure your custom NIC using an IP that is not part of your physical LAN subnet.  If you use 192.168.0.0/24 on the physical LAN, use 10.0.0.0/24 or 172.16.0.0/24 on the lab LAN.
  • Now back to the DC build, set the network adapter to use the custom VMNet# you chose for the RRAS box.  Fire it up.
  • Ensure the system is fully patched and configure the network settings accordingly (using the lab subnet).  For DNS set the primary to itself for now.
  • If you cloned this from your first 2008 ensure the hostnames are different and proceed to promoting it to a new DC in a new forest.
  • Once completed, you should be all set for the DC setup.  You may need to tweak DNS to have some forward lookup zones.  They will probably not work until  you finish your RRAS setup.
  • Go to the RRAS box and try to join it to the new domain (make sure you can see the new DC through some Ping tests) oh and configure the DNS server on the lab NIC to use your new DC's IP.  Once it is joined you can continue with finishing the setup.
  • Install the RRAS services and the main service you will want to use is the routing portion.  I have setup RRAS in a while so I forget the steps.  I know doing it on a member server makes things happier, also it is how you would see it in a real environment, though in many cases it is even a standalone system.
  • Back to DC, install DHCP and configure. Also make sure the gateway is the RRAS server and routing is working properly.
  • If all seems good, then you should be able to start adding client systems to the network.
  • As for your backtrack system, adding a route for the LAB subnet to point toward the physical LAN NIC for the RRAS box should work.

This should get you in the right direction, you may have some hiccups but it is probably the better way to do this.  I've gone and installed RRAS on a DC after-the-fact and it gave me headaches with the NIC configuration.  2008 RRAS likes having 2 NICs, it will take the first it sees and screw up whatever other configs are present.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

rattis

Post Mon May 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Double and triple check the network cards are doing what you think they are. That you have the config to the virtual and the physical networks on the right cards. I would clear both configs. Turn on only the virtual network card, and then configure that one. Repeat for the physical second.

As a side note. While I'm all for backtrack being on it's own box, if you're using 2008 as a gateway to the segmented network, you're probably only going to see the 2008 box.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue May 29, 2012 2:08 am

3xban wrote:you can use the Windows 2008 functional level, you only need to go mixed if you are running Domain controllers that are not 2008.  Going to the 2008 domain functional allows him to configure more of the advanced features available in 2008 domains. 

Then what if he wanna run an additional DC with w2k3?? he cant do that if he select windows 2008 in domain functional level. Besides if he select 2003 he can ugrade it to 2008 later

3xban wrote:So if you are using your BT system outside of the lab, you can create a route to point to the NIC IP you configured on your 2008 box that has access to the physical LAN.  On the 2008 box you will need to have RRAS configured so it can pass the traffic back and forth

RRAS??? as i know the computer which u wanna add RRAS role must have al least 2 interfaces which connects to 2 different networks and as N_OP says he runs w2k8 on a VM. if you wanna connect that backtrack to VM lab, the W2K8 must have drect access to it so RRAS is useless in this case. Besides he can set the VM adapter to NAT With NAT the VM can connect to physical machines in the net. in this case nat adapter acts like a router no RRAS required lol.

and if u want backtrack to get IP from DHCP server the router must support BOOTp bcoz the backtrack Boc can not find DHCP from other subnets.
<<

Triban

Post Tue May 29, 2012 1:08 pm

you can install the VM so it has multiple NIC interfaces.  One would be configured as the "external" interface and the other the "internal."  You can install it on a server with only a single NIC.  It preferes 2 but not required.  Mostly this is seen if you are configuring a MS VPN server.  You can let the firewall control traffic to the server.  Ultimately in a real enterprise, you will not see this scenario.  Many large and small organizations utlize a dedicated appliance for VPN.  They may use the IAS service for authentication which would sit on a Windows server.  Otherwise they are using some thing like a Cisco VPN, Sonicwall or better solution an SSL VPN appliance.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Yes 3xban you can have a VM with 100 NICs! but all of them are connected to a physical PC not Another Network (Directly) but with a nat NIC you can connect to another physical machine very easily no need to do that configuration

Return to Network Pen Testing