Newbie here

<<

peaceman13

Post Thu May 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Newbie here

i'm a newbie. I have basic knowledge about C++, Java. I wanted to ask if what kind of specialty should I take? I know it sounds childish but I'm still young too and I need to pick a specialty in my college course and I wanted to be a hacker, you know the tracker/cracker type. Should I get a network and systems, CISCO perhaps? Thank you!

btw, I'm taking a BS in Computer Science college course and what languages do I have to learn? I know only the basics of C++ and Java. I'm planning to take a course in SecurityTube too concerning Python. Is that a good idea?
Last edited by peaceman13 on Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: Newbie here

Learn a lot about everything. Keep programming, it will help out eventually. Make sure you learn the fundamentals and theory behind networks and applications. It's also helpful if you have SOME idea of what part of security you want to be in. Everything you mentioned would be good to know ;)
<<

unicityd

Post Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 pm

If you're doing a BS in CS, you'll be exposed to several different programming languages and cover a lot of theory.  You won't cover as much on the systems/networking side (e.g. Linux/Windows administration, Cisco).  For now, learn whatever interests you.  As you get close to graduating you can focus on filling in the gaps.  Do try to get some practical experience and/or at least one cert before graduation.  Any experience, even help desk will be useful.  For certs, I'd suggest the CCNA starting out.  It's hard to get a security job straight out of school and the CCNA will help you to land a networking job where you can build your skills.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

peaceman13

Post Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 pm

thank you very much! it's kinda clear to me now.

can this be helpful? because i want to enroll here just for further knowledge.

http://securitytube-training.com/certif ... rt/#enroll

btw, I'm planning to take the path of Information Security
Last edited by peaceman13 on Fri May 25, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 pm

peaceman13 wrote:thank you very much! it's kinda clear to me now.

can this be helpful? because i want to enroll here just for further knowledge.

http://securitytube-training.com/certif ... rt/#enroll

Yes, that's a good course.

peaceman13 wrote:btw, I'm planning to take the path of Information Security

That's what they're asking. Are you going to reverse engineer malware, be a manager, or perform penetration tests (and so on)?
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

peaceman13

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:22 pm

what's the difference of the three?
<<

unicityd

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:35 pm

A manager needs to have experience in some area of security, but may not need a specific skill set.  In a high level position (e.g. chief information security officer), you should have a broad knowledge of security and will probably have specific experience in at least one area (network security, pen testing, etc).  At a lower level, you will probably need to have experience in the area you are managing.  Managers generally don't write code although in a small shop you might have to do some hands on.

As a pen tester, you'll need to be able to write shell scripts and potentially do some automation or parsing with shell scripts, or a scripting language like Python or Perl.

As a reverse engineer, you'll need to know C/C++ and have solid assembly language skills.  You will probably use a scripting language to automate tasks or build small tools as well. You'll be analyzing binaries, looking at code disassembled into assembly, and writing small tools and scripts to help you along.  It's possible to reverse engineer Java and .Net also, but you're more likely to work with C/C++ programs.
BS in IT, CISSP, MS in IS Management (in progress)
<<

peaceman13

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 am

thank you very much! in that case I'd like to be a pen tester. Can you give me references that I can use? Thank you very much!
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:16 am

Browse through the stickies, there are numerous threads on the very same topic. Sil wrote one possible route, see here.
<<

psyk0de

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 am

Hey,
I am not really experienced but here's what I am doing...
1. Learn x86asm which is a really though to learn. Algorithms, Algorithms!!!
2. Learn an OS Completely. (In a way that you can write a version of your own, like Linux , BSD). You can also do some C while learning the OS.
3. Get your hands on some pentesting tools (Backtrack , BackBox etc.)
4. Now... Google is your best friend! (Don't Forget about Youtube!) You can learn Pearl, Python, Ruby etc along with Pentesting.
5. For the first few days Hack your own WiFi. Search "HOW TO Hack WEP with Backtrack". It will give you an idea.
6. Securitytube also offers great materials if you don't have problems with the decent ascent of Vivek.
7. www.hackthissite.org
8. www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html - Awesome Guide.
9. http://securityreliks.securegossip.com/ ... eginnings/ - This one is also worth seeing.
10. Grab a cookie! You're now an ELITE h4x02!

The steps above are a little hard to achieve. I know... but if you start with Python or similar languages you will not really learn anything but how to code.
If you start with x86asm, learning other languages are just a piece of cake!

This is how I'm doing this. If you want we can do the steps together and fix our mistakes in the process and other things.

Cheers!
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am

Cool sounds pretty intense good luck
| OSWP | eCPPT Silver and Gold | eWPT |

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 pm

if u studing programming i think u have a great background to start hacking i mentioned this course before to but again i do it again
www.hackerhighschool.org
Its a greate place to start
2 be ethical dont break law
3 learn virtualization and create a hacking lab with it use virtual box
4 download backtrack and learn linux
5 learn assembly
6 learn html
7 dont forget practise and study
7 be patient!!!
Goodluck
Last edited by cyber.spirit on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

Jamie.R

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Think that would be a good start for a newbi not really sure on the HTML as if you can code in assembly HTML should be as easy as writing your own name.

I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

cyber.spirit

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Jamie.R wrote:Think that would be a good start for a newbi not really sure on the HTML as if you can code in assembly HTML should be as easy as writing your own name.

I think a hacker must learn html no matter if ur newbie or pro. go hackthissite.org u will see! Beside html should be easy 4 newbies
ICS Academy Network Security Certified
<<

Jamie.R

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 am

Yah I agree but if you understand assembly then HTML should be simple. I also think that HTML is not used very often of course you should know it but I would say leanring PHP would be more worthwhile.

I'm an InterN0T'er
Next

Return to Programming