certificationkits

<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 am

certificationkits

Has anyone ever ordered/used equipment from http://www.certificationkits.com/?&nbsp; Any good/bad experiences with their equipment?  I would like to get a better networking lab together so I wants to order cisco switches/routers/etc.  I just didn't want to get robbed. :)
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 am

Re: certificationkits

I saw in another thread around here that Grendal used them to setup the Hacking Dojo lab.  I went ahead and used them to setup a small lab myself too.  It's used equipment so there's some wear on them, but I haven't had any problems with functionality.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

Thank you.  There were people that said they just went to ebay.  They just had to order things separately on ebay. But I can deal with wear as long as it works.  Thanks again. I guess I can get this lab together finally.

www.agoonie.com
<<

sil

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:18 am

Before you fork over a lot of money, you should try and use GNS simulators. (http://www.gns3-labs.com/) Haven't ordered from the place you mentioned but haven enough hardware in my closet and basement to know it can become pricey. Simulators can do pretty much all that the hardware can do and its not uncommon that some CCNPs, CCIPs and even some CCIEs have used nothing but simulators.
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:41 am

GNS3 is an excellent option if it will suit your needs. if you really want a full hands on lab going through one of these companies is definitely the "easy way" but if you go the ebay route you will save yourself a TON of money. and i mean a TON of money.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 am

sil wrote:Before you fork over a lot of money, you should try and use GNS simulators. (http://www.gns3-labs.com/) Haven't ordered from the place you mentioned but haven enough hardware in my closet and basement to know it can become pricey. Simulators can do pretty much all that the hardware can do and its not uncommon that some CCNPs, CCIPs and even some CCIEs have used nothing but simulators.

Thanks sil, I started with the simulators and every image known to mankind.  I think I really need the hardware in front of me.  Probably just an excuse to get more hardware in my house, but either way, I will probably go the hardware route.  More blinking lights! FTW!

nicklauscombs wrote:GNS3 is an excellent option if it will suit your needs. if you really want a full hands on lab going through one of these companies is definitely the "easy way" but if you go the ebay route you will save yourself a TON of money. and i mean a TON of money.

Thanks nicklauscombs.  Yeah I am looking at ebay now, and they have kits for half the price including a warranty.  I might have to try that.  Books are already expensive. Thanks everyone for the info. 

www.agoonie.com
<<

rattis

Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:15 pm

I looked at  http://www.certificationkits.com/ before. I found them to be over priced. Everything they were selling, I got off Ebay for less, so built the same "kit" and got a rack for what they were charging.

My bigger issue, their kits seem to be a little outdated. 2500s, at least the ISO version I have, and from what is said in Todd Lammle's study guide, you'll need newer gear. It's been about 4 years or so, but if I recall correctly the Router on a Stick was the only way to do VLANS with the kits they had, and even that required a 2600.

Better bet would be to get some study guides (from the library, or scan them at the store), and see what they are using in the study guides for kits, and then either EBAY it, or use the GNS Simulator.

My problem is, I don't know where to find the iso images for GNS, any suggestions?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

sil

Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

If you have an account on Cisco you should be able to download any of the images you need. What devices do you have? E.g., 2600, 3600, and what set are you looking for e.g., IPServices, Security, yadda yadda
<<

rattis

Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks Sil, will getting the images from Cisco work for the GNS lab? The last time I remember pulling Cisco Images, I'm pretty sure I coudl only get immages for devices I had support contracts for.

I haven't even looked at my personal Cisco account in more years than I care to admit. Think 06 was the last time.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 pm

I am pretty sure you are correct.  You only have access to the images you have support contracts for. 

www.agoonie.com
<<

rattis

Post Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Agoonie wrote:I am pretty sure you are correct.  You only have access to the images you have support contracts for. 

Yep, just tried to get an image from Cisco, figured what he heck. error says:

Service Contract Required.

To Download this software, you must have a valid service contract associated to your Cisco.com profile.

But this is something I should shelve again for now. I have other stuff to work on.
Last edited by rattis on Thu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

sil

Post Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Ah yea, forgot about about the contract shenanigans. I have access to mostly everything on there as well as Juniper. I download and horde things to play with. Whether or not I have it
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Thu May 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Agoonie wrote:Thanks nicklauscombs.  Yeah I am looking at ebay now, and they have kits for half the price including a warranty.  I might have to try that.  Books are already expensive. Thanks everyone for the info. 

i meant more for you to buy the "kit" piece by piece and stay away from the bundled packages as they are always overpriced and usually has extremely ancient hardware. you'll also learn way more by having to research images, hardware, memory, etc....
<<

jason

Post Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm

I've ordered from them a couple times. Not the best experience in the world due to a few problems:

They sent me one of the wrong items and it was a hassle to get it replaced with the proper one.

Some of the equipment was VERY used

Two switches had bad roms (which they did replace), and it took quite a bit of troubleshooting on my end to figure out what the problem was. A little QA on their end would have kept these from going out the door in the first place.

I had several switches arrive with broken faceplates (as in broken off entirely) due to bad packing. I had to argue with them to get them replaced.

They sent out a CD with a gob of IOS versions on it for various equipment. Nice to have, but not kosher with Cisco's licensing.

Overall, a mediocre experience, particularly for the rather large amount of money involved. Would I buy from them again? Likely not.
<<

rattis

Post Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 pm

sil wrote:Ah yea, forgot about about the contract shenanigans. I have access to mostly everything on there as well as Juniper. I download and horde things to play with. Whether or not I have it

Kind of hi-jacking the thread, but any recommendations on what and where to get Juniper firewalls to learn on? What about Checkpoint? Cisco PIX and ASA I feel pretty good on, but everyone around here wants the other two.
OSWP, Sec+
Next

Return to Networking