Greetings from a newb..

<<

Jebster311

Post Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 am

Greetings from a newb..

Hello folks just wanted to say hi, and that i'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm a IT noob for the most part and just looking to expand my knowledge in all areas of IT. Currently studying for my CompTia A+ exam, just figured that would be as good a place as any to start out. If anyone has any suggestions on reading material for a newb, please feel free to let me know. I hope to one day be able to contribute to the awesome community ya'll have here and to be able to become a ethical hacker one day. Hope you all have a great day!
<<

Triban

Post Mon May 14, 2012 9:49 am

Re: Greetings from a newb..

Welcome!  As for reading material, well depends on what you are interested in.  There is a number of books that can fall under required reading, but it all depends on where you are looking to go.  Stealing the Network is a decent series of books.  I particularly enjoyed "How to own the idenity"
http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Network- ... 1597490067
It was setup more as a story and covered some decent technical stuff but you really didn't need to have a background to understand it.

If you are looking into more hacking type books, Counter-Hack Reloaded is a decent read.  If you are looking for How-To's well, there are a number of them but none will make you a Pro overnight.  Experience is you best bet.

Also check out some of the other threads, we have lots of education related topics where most of your questions have probably been answered.  Good luck in your journey to ethical hackery.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Jebster311

Post Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 am

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! Honestly I'm interested in everything, lol I know thats vague but I want to soak up as much info as I can. I'm working just to become a certified pc repair tech atm, so I can fund the continuance of my education and eventually (hopefully) become some sort of pen tester or network security consultant. Right now I'm reading Guide to managing and maintaining your PC from Jean Andrews, it's a very nice book that has maps to the A+ exams.

I'm not enrolled in any courses or anything so it's all solo learning, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. I will check out the materials you provided and I greatly appreciate your help and expertise!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 am

Yes, welcome!

If you haven't already, check out this thread. That will probably answer the majority of your questions since you seem to be starting from a similar place.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to Greetings