Vista Business Launched Today

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Vista Business Launched Today

Vista Business launched in NY today. Look for launch events for Vista Ultimate, Home Edition, et al in 2007. Plenty of coverage from the media today, but here's just a few links:

eWeek - "Ballmer: Biggest Launch Ever":
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2066259,00.asp

PC Mag - "Microsoft's Vista Business Is Off and Running":
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2066108,00.asp

Official Microsoft Launch Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/business/launc ... fault.mspx

Off we go...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

p0et

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Re: Vista Business Launched Today

I just finished a week training in Vista and now I'm supporting tech issues with Vista.  It's going to be quite annoying with the little things Vista did to make it "prettier" to the users, such as hiding most of the top menus in various apps.  You now need to hit your Alt key to get the file, edit, etc.. menus.  That and other little things such as no more Run diaglog box, unless you go into the settings and bring it back or do the Windows Key + R shortcut. 

All in all, it seems a little more secure of an O/S and has some pretty interesting functions.  Hope these business users are actually trained a little in it before using it on their own.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:07 pm

no more run key...that sucks
<<

mn_kthompson

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 pm

I was disappointed that Bitlocker is not available on the Business edition.  It is only available on Ultimate and Enterprise.  I'm also not happy about all the different versions that are coming out.  It seems that having so many different versions with different feature sets could lead to support problems.  What do you think, P0et, you're supporting it.

I do like the fact that they have included Bitlocker, and some of the other features like address space randomization are very cool.  I guess my only beef right now is the different version.  That's why I'm happy to run one version of Ubuntu.
<<

p0et

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 pm

I agree, it can and is leading to support problems but not that bad.  Vista itself is a little rough to support just because it's a new environment to both us techs and the users. I usually just get them to switch to classic view right away in the Control Panel and get them used to hitting Windows+R for the Run box and Alt to give us some menus. 

I do like the fact that the default security level is not Administrator anymore, then you have to basically su to admin like in Linux.  (not just like Linux, but you still have to "runas" admin when doing much of anything)  That itself is a nice security feature when battling viruses that are executed at the current user account.  At least the little bugs won't all be admins in your box.  ;)
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE

Return to Other